Your Vehicles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David M, Feb 13, 2017.

1. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

2. Brad.w

Brad.w Editor-in-Chief Staff Member

I don't know about in Europe, but yeah, diesels can be pretty loud. It's really a small price to pay with how much value you get in return, though.

3. Blaster3

Blaster3

diesel trucks are not 'grocery getters', the short trips with no load will coke up the cylinders/valves and turbo shaft/bearings... most are hpcr with fuel pressures between 21000 - 37000psi & have 2-3 injection events every p/stroke... although it's true that diesels are much more efficient than gas burners, you have to account for crazy price fluctuations at the pump far more so than gasoline, not so long ago diesel was nearly $6/gallon $250/tankful on that '05 of mine...

anywho, truck means 2500 and bigger, 1500/150's are, for all intensive purposes, passenger vehicles, and are built with passenger vehicle safety standards, so i do not consider them 'trucks'...

Brad.w likes this.
  4. Brad.w

Brad.w Editor-in-Chief Staff Member

I've got the 04 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L - and it's certainly not treated as a "grocery getter," hehe. I really need to find something better for hauling cars, trucks and construction equipment. The 5.7L definitely feels it, and struggles quite a bit depending on what I throw on the trailer. How much did you pay for your truck, if you don't mind me asking? I've been browsing around, and cheapest I can find one for around here is $19,000 with around 240k to 270k miles on it.

5. Blaster3

Blaster3

sticker $41k, i waited till august '05 and bought it for $29k (had 3 miles on odo), as all the newer '06's were on the way, mine is an slt 'big horn' quad cab, 8' bed

EDIT: anywho, i'd stay away from the 3rd gen cummins 5.9, bosch fuel system (injectors) was experimental and was changed with the 6.7 roll-out... what i've found as a good site for info specific to dodge/cummins... Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

EDIT: this smellz a lil dejavu o_O

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  6. David M

David M Techphile.

bob, not all Diesels sound like your classic clattery Diesel.

I recently test drove a 2017 Dodge Ram 3500 and it was relatively quiet.

Some Diesels in smaller passenger vehicles are very quiet. You would not know it was a Diesel until you opened up the hood to look for the spark plugs. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  7. Bob338

Bob338

You couldn't tell my two newest ones were diesels, even at startup, and with turbo's there's no 'lag' starting off from a stop. Feel and sound no different than gasoline engines.

8. Blaster3

Blaster3

not enough difference between 2500 & 3500 to warrant the extra cost, also, unless you plan on having a slide in camper or towing trailers the drw is terrible in snow vs the srw...

9. David M

David M Techphile.

My wife and I are considering purchasing a good size boat at retirement....near or over 10,000 pounds. That is why we test drove the 3500. ..The idea is to buy a boat, a camper and go fishing all over the US and Canada for a year or two. We're not sure what we want to do at retirement but that is one of the options. Besides we love test driving new vehicles. Who doesn't? :)

I was told the obvious difference between a 2500 and a 3500 and that the 2500 has a better rear linkage for a better ride that the 3500 does not have. I was also told the 3500 has a better resale value meaning less depreciation over time. I would guess because there are a lot more 2500's than 3500's on the road...or the sales guy was blowing smoke. :)

Blaster3 likes this.
  10. Blaster3

Blaster3

sounds like fun, drw it is, although i would go full rv (comfort and stability) rather than pick-up camper...

EDIT: many venturesome locales will always have gasoline, but might not have diesel

11. David M

David M Techphile.

We though about that. An R/V has one purpose and we would have to find a place to store it since they are not allowed by many HOA's. A big pickup has a multitude of purposes and it can be left in your driveway. R/V's also depreciate faster than....computers. Well, almost.

12. Blaster3

Blaster3

got it, thought you meant travelling for couple years without being 'home'...

13. David M

David M Techphile.

Not sure what we want to do just yet. It's fun to think through the options. Takes a lot of internet research, which I enjoy.

14. Relievedoptimistic

Relievedoptimistic

Toyota Corolla XL 1997
    Toyota Revo Sports Runner 2000
    Suzuki Jimny 2000
    Nissan X-Trail 2004
    Mitsubishi Montero 2012
    Ford EcoSport 2017

15. Ashanti Esteves

Ashanti Esteves

Wow! I wanna see you your 1983 Chevy C10 truck. I love old trucks!