Workstation needed - want to build

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by K A Hall, Jan 5, 2018.

1. K A Hall

K A Hall Computer Tool

We need a new workstation for our biz. I would like some help getting hardware.

PC is used for
    *quickbooks (not online version)
    * she runs SEO programs that give reports on how your website is doing and how to improve SEO
    * photo editing with photoshop or similar
    * Uses MS office, including outlook (not 365) some older version
    * listens to music and speakers are shot would like subwoofer but doesn't have to be too awesome
    * needs to do dual monitor (DVI) with possibly adding 3rd later on (maybe with mini HDMI) and if possible for vid card to not have a fan that would be awesome (wife uses PC's longer than most and the fans on the vid cards always crap out and are hard to find.)
    * ASUS MOB
    * think i5 CPU
    * 16GB ram
    * HDD 500 GB is plenty but would also consider SSD for OS with 500GB for data
    *Windows 10 PRO
    *case with a few usb ports upfront

Suggestions?

2. SpencerC

SpencerC

What is your definition of "workstation"? If it is close to the contemporary definition, then an i5 is a terrible choice for that use. Ryzen 5, 7, or Threadripper are all better suited for that role.

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Spencer, he did define what he is going to be using it for and has requested an i5.

In this system, the onboard graphics are very good, it has 1 VGA, 1 DVI, and 1 HDMI. I have listed a video card you can add to get 1 more DVI and 1 more HDMI.

Cooler Master N200 - Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case with Front 240mm Radiator Support and Ventilated Front Panel - Newegg.com

EVGA 450 B3, 80 Plus BRONZE 450W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-B3-0450-V1 - Newegg.com

ASUS PRIME B250M-A LGA 1151 Intel B250 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I57500 Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel X99 and 100 Series Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 - Newegg.com

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E250BW - Newegg.com

Western Digital WD Blue Hard Drive 1TB WD10EZEX 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" | Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

Cyber Acoustics Platinum CA-3602 2.1 Speaker System - 30 W RMS - Newegg.com

EVGA GeForce GT 1030 SC, 02G-P4-6332-KR, 2GB GDDR5, Passive, Low Profile - Newegg.com

*IF* you are in no hurry, wait till the B360 boards are out for the 8th generation Intel Coffee Lake processors. Right now, the only boards are Z370 boards which are costly, the only micro-ATX board from Asus is $185. The Coffee Lake i5 is now 6 core.

4. K A Hall

K A Hall Computer Tool

Thanks GLC, ordered all of it except for the extra vid card. I might get it later but we're going to see how it goes with DVI & VGA since neither monitor we have now will do HDMI.
    Just under $1000 bucks. The last one I built for her working for about 6 years and is starting to get a bit finicky and acting strange.

Also, I so out of the loop now. I had no idea you could get a SSD like that. At first I thought the pic was wrong and that it was a stick of RAM.

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

6. K A Hall

K A Hall Computer Tool

Of course, ordered.

7. K A Hall

K A Hall Computer Tool

I have this thing together and it powers on and seems like it's going to be pretty nice. The MOB manual was missing the pin layout for front panel connectors and even with my lit magnifying glass I could not figure it out from what was printed on the board. Found an image from someone else who was having same issue and it is correct. Fired right up after I got those right. Still haven't loaded windows, but will most likely do that this weekend. Seems to be some kind of delay getting it shipped and even though I could install from download I don't have a key and have other things going on anyway. I'm actually not looking forward to transferring programs and data....stalling is what I'm doing.

[​IMG]
    Front panel pin connectors layout for ASUS PRIME B250M-A.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 8:53 PM
    rjfvillarosa likes this.