Windows Crash

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by SARGE, Jan 9, 2018.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

There are 2 issues here so don't jump the gun with a quick answer. I'm running Windows 10 and upon boot I got the below message (1834) no matter how many times I restarted. I finally hit the "advanced options" and selected restore to a previous date and it showed a restore point in December (which I didn't know I had) and a critical update a few days ago with the KB # but I didn't take a pic of that screen darn it. The restore point put me back in business. Wondering if I could find that same window I've searched for "restore" in several ways and it always brings up the pic in 1835. Ridiculous. Even if I click restore, it says I have no Windows 7 points to restore. Thankfully the "advanced options" led me to a restore option but now unfound. I've only had Windows 10 on this drive from day one yet it gives me all these other options now to restore to. Evidently the '"critical update" a day ago shut me down. One of the options in advanced gave me a # to call and to tell them the error message is INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE and they could help me. That's like saying my drive was bad vs Windows screwed up.

Attached Files:

2. Blaster3

Blaster3

looks like the dell laptop had win 7 then was updated to 10, rather than a clean, new install of win10...

3. Bob338

Bob338

Much the same as I had a few days ago just a day or two after the Creator's update. Think I posted this on a thread. Went to the last restore point a few weeks back and all was well.

4. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Blaster, I'm using my built PC, not the Dell and my original install of Windows 10. Even when searching for "restore points" I get what I posted and everything says I have no restore points in Windows 7. Yet, luckily the Advanced Options in first pic walked me thru to a file that did indeed have one and if not for that I'd be dead in the water. It's somewhere on this PC, just don't know how to find it.

Bob, how did you find your restore point? What happens when you do a search on your PC for "restore point"? A list of things like my #2 pic did?

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If Windows 10 will not boot, use the Advanced Options. From there, you can use a system restore point. You can't find the system restore points by doing a search within Windows. There are only 2 ways to do a system restore in Windows 10 - advanced options from a failed boot, or by starting in Safe Mode.

6. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Thanks for the info. I wonder why they won't let you search for a restore. And where did all those Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 come from in pic #2 ?? Does Windows 10 have the ability to change back to them even though were never on the PC to begin with ?? Weird

7. Bob338

Bob338

Exactly! Mine booted, just wouldn't complete the update.
    If I recall, I used the Advanced Options. Simple.

8. Blaster3

Blaster3

@SARGE ... got your pc fixed, kool...

didnt you buy that win10 disc from early on, when all versions were still upgradeable?

maybe they left those restore points there just in case...

would be curious to know if the newest version of win10 has those old restore points ??? (the newest downloadable iso from ms)

9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The restore points are in a "System Volume Information" folder that is a hidden system folder that cannot be accessed through Explorer. To view restore points, search for Control Panel, open it, view by Small Icons, click on System, then System Protection. Click on System Restore, then Next. There will be a list of restore points.

10. Bob338

Bob338

I found my restore points via the Action Center, System Properties. Just duplicated what I did. After restoring a week and a half ago I have 3 restore points now based on the recent updates. Right click on Notification icon on task bar, click Open Action Center>All Settings>Windows Update>Recovery.

SARGE likes this.
  11. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Blaster, I lucked out and for some reason tried the other HDMI port in my monitor and all is good. I didn't even know I had an extra port and was looking for the other type connection and scrambling for an old cord.

I don't know the timeline on my Win10 disc, around here somewhere. Was same time I installed the M.2 ssd.

12. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Glc, I found a shorter avenue. I see my list of restore points and the Jan 5th one evidently crashed me. I'm still riding the one I selected for December. I think any crash would lead a person to this anyway when it pops up the "advanced options" after a crash but there may be times when one has an ok boot but wants to test some current issues. At least we can find it for that. I do know I'm going to Jan 5th. I wonder how a person sees exactly which point they are actually on right now ??

Attached Files: