Wifi Netgear 7550

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by quartet-man, Jul 15, 2017.

1. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

I got the Wifi mentioned in the Kindle thread, going easily. I am using WPA2-PSK(AES) encryption and renamed the SSID and changed the password (away from what was on the Netgear 7550 label). Is there anything else I should do? (I haven't hidden the SSID yet, but that is an option). One problem I have had with this (before the WIFI) was when I unplug this to power cycle, it doesn't connect sometimes. I let it sit for an hour or two with no service, but unplugged it for longer and it connected back up (not sure if that was coincidental or not). I powercycled it due to issues setting up my Harmony Smart Control hub (I set the hub up fine, but it couldn't connect to the hub, I will have to try again).

2. quartet-man

The biggest thing I'm looking for from The Forum right now is just what settings do I need to change or make sure set certain way for security purposes.

3. Blaster3

Blaster3

quartet-man likes this.
  4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Generally, what you have done is sufficient.

Change SSID
    Use WPA2
    Change wireless passkey
    Change default router admin password

quartet-man likes this.
  5. quartet-man

Yes changing the password for the router would be a good idea as of so far I just left it with what is on the sticker.

I will probably still end up changing a Comcast or U-verse since my main motivation for DSL was to keep off of Wireless. The service and price are way out of hand right now. I just have to do some investigating when I have a little bit more time.

As an update to the things I mentioned within the post, I was able to get the remote setup finished earlier today though it doesn't seem to give me the functionality I hoped for. I will try to check into that later myself as well.

As far as my connectivity with that modem/router could still be what caused my initial problems before, or it could be the fact that Netgear model which has gotten lousy reviews at certain places.