WI-FI questions

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by quartet-man, Jan 7, 2018.

1. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

In gearing up to do the network the copier I mentioned (set to happen Wednesday), updating the firmware on the repeaters, I decided to ask a few questions I have meant to ask.

1. Is there a place that can check the security on your network? I know Belarc has a thing, but it gives pretty low scores at home and work. I am not sure what their standards are, but am curious.

2. As far as the repeaters (I think we actually have 6) and access points. I assigned names to each one. For instance (abbreviation of church name and then Kitchen, youth center, etc. ) as well as the guests on the two access points (abbreviation of church name and north etc.) and kept the password the same on each.

I gave the staff accounts on the two access points as two separate names totally unrelated to the church or even Christianity so people wouldn't know they were ours as an extra layer of security.

I recently saw someone say to someone else that the Cisco standard was to have the same name for each and that it would help in keeping connection while going throughout the building. Another said that that could be confusing if there were more than one in reach from a location and troubleshooting is tougher since you don't know where the problem is. I certainly can see benefits of both. What do you guys do? Any thoughts.

3. I wasn't able to get into the Main router the other day. I don't know if I forgot the password after changing it or what. I have my files and notes and will try again, but the ones I had written down weren't working through the app. I will try upstairs. I am concerned I picked such a tough one that even I can't figure it out. ;) Is there a way to get that back? My suspicion is that I will have to set it back to new and redo everything, but don't want to do that yet. It has probably been a good year and half or two since I messed with it as I have had so much more to do, and people didn't want the passwords changed on the guest because of having to retype 6 different ones over again on ones saved. I might change them all anyhow. :D

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

You can try to get into the router with the Asus Router smartphone app. I don't know if it will let you in without the password but it's worth a try.

3. quartet-man

Yeah it wouldn't let me. I just installed it Wednesday when you mentioned its existence. I can check to see if the Laptop I used to access it initially can help me (in case I forgot the admin name I used etc.) Maybe there is something saved that will let me in or refresh my memory.

4. glc

It lets me into mine without a password, but I may have had to enter the password when I first installed it. If you were able to get in when you installed it and now you can't, something has changed.

5. quartet-man

I just installed the app Wednesday when I saw you mentioned its existence on another thread. So, I had never signed in using the App. I went upstairs and tried signing in different combinations with no results so far. I am in my office trying through the app again in a more systematic way to make sure I try the various combinations that I thought I did. I had another password there, but it didn't work and I think that is a password within there to make changes (at least I thought I needed another password in the router itself for certain changes, but maybe not. I will try combinations with it too and hopefully break it.

I almost think that I might have saved some passwords in a memo on a previous phone. I will have to comb the memos on the different phones and see if that is true. I hope to transfer everything from all of those to my current phone sometime, but haven't yet. I want to systematically clean up and delete unnecessary texts, files etc. before transferring and go up each device to the current thinning out each step until I hopefully have it all on the new one. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. reggie14

reggie14

I'm not familiar with Belarc, although it looks like it just scans the machine it is run on and reports (primary) if its running up-to-date AV software and has OS/application security patches installed.

What's your goal? Are you trying to enumerate all devices attached to the network and scan them? Most large companies use Nessus for that. It's expensive, but there's a free home version. I'm not sure if the home license is valid for non-commercial use.

OpenVAS is a free alternative. I've never used it though.

Those would scan for devices, attempt to identify them, and scan for vulnerabilities. if you can give the admin password to machines, it can scan for OS updates.

There much simpler tools for just listing devices on the network. (E.g., nmap)

I'd do one SSID for all the access points. It'll help out with roaming a bit, as devices won't try to stay attached to a particular AP as much. The main downside is that you will have to your WiFi password changes all at once (from a wired device).

If you need to diagnose a problem, you can identify the particular AP you're attached to by looking up the BSSID (Mac address) of the AP.

quartet-man likes this.
  7. quartet-man

Did you mean non-profit? :D My goal is to see that the network is secure (i.e. settings and what not and look for vulnerabilities and places of concern). Belarc has a part for network. Maybe I will scan and post the results to show what things they say are issues.

I will keep that in mind. The setup of those things was such a pain, I am not sure I want to redo all of those, but was thinking of future use and more just a curiosity of what works best and why.

8. Blaster3

Blaster3

my thoughts on passwords & such...

pen & paper, hidden in plain sight...

never failed me..

9. glc

quartet-man likes this.
  10. quartet-man

The router and modem are in another office, but the same people who have access to the Keys could get up there, and it stays open before during and after morning services. I have my files locked up in one of my filing cabinet in my office.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  11. Blaster3

Blaster3

pen & paper can be placed @ home or a safe deposit box

quartet-man likes this.
  12. David M

David M Techphile.

It sounds like some of these parishioners need to redeem their ways by listening to the Lord's word. :)

13. quartet-man

Let me clarify a few things. I trust the three who have key access as far as not stealing stuff, as well as most (if not all) of the congregation. I don't trust them to close my door back when they are done. There was some roof work done and they opened it for them and left the church without closing it back. I found it the net morning. The same group (not the secretary) turns lights on around the church and leaves without turning them off etc. They do a lot for the church, but are lacking in that. As far as the roofing company, the owner himself is the fiance of the secretary and has done work for me and friends before. But, when you have a whole crew in and out of your office and many different things going on in the church (they got quotes for the AC and other projects in the summer), and even strangers visiting the church (who of course are welcome), it's different. Or if it is left opened, someone managed to break in and have office access before the alarm caught them and the police were called (or when someone was in the church, but not the area), then there is cause for concern. There are also concerns with kids in from the neighborhood (who don't attend) coming for things (although they are supervised, things can happen (or even church kids who could tear things up).
    Or strangers in for things like funeral dinners, etc,.
    Or someone might borrow something and tear it up or forget to bring it back. But, mostly it is for me to see if the door is closed or not more than expecting to catch someone (although having it just in case is nice).

EDIT: This was more about the camera set up which was referenced here. As far as the WI-FI that door is mostly only accessed on Sunday (unless the custodian or I need in there), but there is always the danger of it not getting locked back by a few who have access to the keys.

EDIT 2: We have a member (business owner) who does a form of security for us (checking things) every night. She has a son who has done time and who is with her sometime. He might even have access to her key (I have no way of knowing if she keeps it on her or keeps it secure), so there is always a chance.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Blaster3 likes this.
  14. quartet-man

That makes it harder to have access, but yeah it can. We have a safe, so I could a sealed copy in there. But, I had a copy in one of my locked filing cabinets, but it had tons of notes and changes scrawled on it. As it is, my old phone at home has a combination that was on that, but I don't think worked. But it helps to know what admin name and password go together, so I will try again. I couldn't access it from home on my current cell using the app, because I am on different Wi-Fi and had never logged in. I will try Wednesday. It also occurred to me that I need to double check if there is a particular port to plug into the Asus to try.

15. Blaster3

Blaster3

@quartet-man ... pen & paper isn't about convenience, it's about having failsafe backup... many of mine are memorized, just as i do with phone #'s, ssn, driver id #, creditcard #'s & pin's... butt i keep most on good old pen & paper just in case, even if that means having to wait till home to retrieve & wait till next day back at the office to 'get in'...

quartet-man likes this.
  16. quartet-man

I get that, but typically when I would need that would be right away. :) But, it certainly is another option (although I may have to find another secure place at work too.) :)