Watching Ants

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SARGE, Sep 10, 2017.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

My patio is about 20 feet wide and I sit here watching a trail of ants for past few days. There is a definite path of those coming and going like a freeway and almost each one bumps into the oncoming ant and continues on. Is almost like they're giving each other a quick kiss. Then there are those that wander off the trail a ways, lost in the wilderness even turning circles until another one goes out and brings him back. I don't know what that's all about nor why they spend all day going back and forth. There is a story there. I must admit I have to get up and go do something else lest I lose my mind watching...

2. Blaster3

Blaster3

3. David M

David M Techphile.

4. bob

bob

They are communicating to each other on where to get food. Some search, some have food and are going back to the nest and the others are told where the food is.
    Maybe as simple as follow path to food or look for food.
    They leave scent trails.

Just get about 5 single gallon bottles of bug spray at home depot. Under $10 each.
    Remove the sprayer. Pour it like water in every crack.
    Wash off after it dries.

5. David M

David M Techphile.

Mix 3 parts powdered sugar to one part Borax. It won't hurt humans or your pets. They carry it back to the colony and they all die. Kills more than what you see crawling on the ground.

6. Bob338

Bob338

There's a commercial product available at the home depot type stores, called Terro. Quite effective. Same mix but already prepared. Has consistency of honey but clear. If they're the ants that like sweets it will kill them and wipe out the nest from whatever nectar is brought back by the "workers".

7. Blaster3

Blaster3

it most certainly is dangerous to pets... borax poisoning in pets causes skin rashes and swelling, eye and mouth irritation, vomiting, nausea and breathing problems, even death

bear in mind, when borax is formulated into certain houshold products, it is at a very low percentage (dose), and thats why those products, laundry soap, eyedrops & such, are not labeled as toxic...

using straight borax, whether mixed with sugar or something else, if a pet ingests it, it can become ill, even die...

borax, and it's refined boric acids, are dangerous in quantities when ingested (takes less boric acid to do harm than borax, but both are harmful)...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017