Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by mokpo, Nov 28, 2010.
Does anyone know how to block unwanted search engines i.e. BING and Suddenlink???
What do you mean by blocking them?
I used to get google anytime I would plugged an item into the search bar now I get a sudden link or Bing page that lacks the contents of the items I'm search for as a result I have to take several other steps such as plug Google into the search bar then plug what I'm looking for into Google.
My guess is that when you installed something, instead of the detailed installation, you did the easy installation and you missed the option to not have XYZ as your default search engine....so now this is what you have.
I think you might try going to whichever browser you are using and un-select whichever search engine it is using as your default. I use Google as my default for both Firefox and Chrome.
When installing software, always use the more detailed installation so you have the option of unchecking all the garbage some software companies want to load onto your computer such as tool bars in your browser and other unnecessary clutter.
Foxit is a perfect example of software that will load all kinds of crap if you are not careful. including a required tool bar that you then have to eradicate in Delete Software.
go into add remove programs and uninstall the unwanted toolbars if you have any, ones to look for are Ask, Google, Bing, etc.
I assume you are using Internet Explorer 8, if so go into tools, select manage add-ons, and you will be able to change your settings for toolbars, search providers, etc.
Something I didn't see mentioned already is if you're talking about the search bar that most browsers have in the upper right corner, there's usually a dropdown menu in that search area that you can pick which search engine to use. I always thought that one was pretty self-explanatory, but my neighbor the other night had the same question. Somehow her google search in the top right had gotten changed to Bing and just needed to be changed back again.