Operating Systems Toshiba Satellite OS reinstall

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks' started by rjfvillarosa, May 31, 2017.

1. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine asked me to clean up his laptop because it was running rather slowly. After checking a few things it became obvious that the harddrive was failing. I fitted a new harddrive but couldn't get the machine to boot from either the DVD drive or a bootable USB stick. In the DVD drive I tried a Windows OS disk and Toshiba recovery software. I tried a Google search and it seems that lots of people are having the same problem and the general consensus of opinion seemed to be the only way you could reinstall the OS was via the recovery partition on the harddrive or if you had fitted a new harddrive due to failure or upgrade, best of luck with that because somehow Toshiba had disabled that option in the BIOS and no amount of fiddling in the BIOS settings would get it to boot from the selected source, be it DVD or USB.
    Not one to give up easily I thought back a few years to when I had a similar problem with a machine (can't remember what machine it was) and the solution is quite simple.
    Connect the new harddrive into a spare desktop machine as the primary drive, using a Windows install disk, or in my case a bootable USB stick with the iso installed and start the installation process. When you reach the second restart which is just before you put the installation key in, switch the machine off as it shuts down thus not allowing it to start up again. Move the new harddrive back to the laptop and make sure the installation media is either in the laptop DVD drive or the USB stick is plugged into the laptop. When you boot up the laptop Windows will continue with the installation as if nothing has changed and then present you with the CD/DVD installation key screen. I believe it is at this point that Windows goes back to the installation media to get all the drivers it needs for the installed hardware.
    Don't forget the move the installation disk/usb stick.

Blaster3 likes this.
  2. Blaster3

Blaster3

thanks, know someone having issues with his laptop, a toshiba win 7, so i've copy/pasted your work around just in case...

rjfvillarosa likes this.
  3. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Tell him to be patient with the restarts, make sure he gets the right one, I am sure it's the second one just before you have to type in the key code.

4. Blaster3

Blaster3

just visited him, the toshiba was slow as molasses on a cold day, tons of bs & temp files. downloaded ccleaner (took forever), then set it on 'fastest' single pass, clicked clean... 20 minutes later it finished :rolleyes:...
    cleaned out bunch useless apps, e-mail had thousands of ads, set up junk rules, seems to be ok...

did i mention win 7 sucks:D, first time i used a windblows machine in quite some time, i do not miss ito_O...