Toshiba restore CD throws "model not supported" error.

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by Force Flow, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon!

On my workbench, I have a Toshiba Satellite A305-S6905 with a dead HDD, which I replaced.

I also have the original Restore DVD for Vista SP1 32-bit labeled as for A300 series laptops.

Upon booting from the CD and selecting the toshiba reovery wizard, it throws the error "This model is not supported" with the error code 03-FFFF-0000.

I called Toshiba tech support and they said the disc is probably just defective and I'd need to order a new one for $30 plus shipping. :eek: The disc is fine, and from what I read, the error code has nothing to do with a defective disc.

However, the owner of the laptop indicated that the motherboard had been replaced at some point. Some forum posts I stumbled across say it needs to be returned to an authorized toshiba technician.

But, that has me wondering--how was the O/S installed in the first place after the motherboard replacement?

Has anyone encountered something like this before?

2. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

When you google the error code it sure looks like you're not alone.

Can't say that I understand it, but apparently the new mobo has a different "DMI" than the recovery disc you have... I saw reference to a Toshiba bootable DMI disk...

3. jdeb

jdeb

4. Force Flow

I gave the laptop's owner three options:

1) Try to mess with the BIOS firmware, but it would take a lot of time and run the risk of bricking the motherboard.
    2) Order the restore DVD for ~$35, which might or might not work (and if it didn't, proceed to option 3 anyway).
    3) Order a new copy of windows for $80.

They picked option 3.

5. Force Flow

The laptop's motherboard failed on this laptop (again), and took the hard drive data with it this time.

Since it would cost too much to repair (again), they're opting to toss it and go with something else that comes with one of my recommendations.

6. jdeb

jdeb

Get them a ThinkPad

7. Force Flow

Yeah, that's one of the laptop lines that's on my approved list :)

8. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Or an Asus or Dell Latitude.