Thoughts on HDD Drive Choice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Kov-Ice, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Kov-Ice

Kov-Ice

Hi all. I'm rapidly running out of space on my 2TB storage drives (mirrored in two different boxes). I'm in the process of digitizing dozens of Hi8/Dig8 video tapes, and every tape is taking about 20 GB of space.

I'd like to buy a couple more storage drives. I have 4-year-old WD Blacks right now. Are those the best choice?

I'm considering moving all stored files over to the new drives, and then using my older existing ones for the video digitizing and editing. Let me know your thoughts!

Thx,

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Blacks have been a bit questionable lately and I'll never recommend Seagates any more. Look at HGST, they have been very reliable.

3. Kov-Ice

Kov-Ice

So no worries that the drive is named the "DeathStar" ? Guess that's days gone by..

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

That was back when they were IBM and they first used glass platters. HGST is now owned by WD.

5. SpencerC

SpencerC

Hitachi and Seagate both come recommended. I know glc had bad experiences with them in the past, but for me I've had nothing but good experiences with them (considering huge important datacenters use Seagate drives on a regular basis I don't see what the problem is with them honestly. You can get a 4 TB Seagate Barracuda for $109.99 @ Newegg right now).