This Is Odd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SARGE, Jan 11, 2018 at 5:44 PM.

1. bob

bob

You can prove you did the right thing by getting the shot - if being moral is right. :)

2. juppy

juppy Professional Cow Tipper

I get the shot every year. But....then again.....ever since they had the whole "swine flu" stuff that year that they didn't have the vaccine for.....they said just learn to not touch your face.....basically, don't rub your eyes, pick your nose, etc, when out in public. I've made a conscious effort to not touch my face during flu season and I haven't had the flu in probably 6 years.....go figure. :D

3. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Isn't that one of those things where they can't prove a negative?

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Well, last time I had the flu was over 40 years ago. Funny thing - I got the flu shortly after getting a flu shot............

5. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I found an easy-to-read link that's interesting and speaks to what everyone talks about. Here's a tidbit from it:

"Two years ago, the shot was only 23 percent effective. Last year’s did better, around 60 percent. The exact rate depends on which strains of flu are circulating in your area, but most years the effectiveness hovers around 50 percent.

Think of it this way: if somebody coughs on you during flu season, wouldn’t you like to have a coin-flip chance of escaping unharmed? Fifty percent is a lot better than zero. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) summarizes: “Influenza vaccination, even when effectiveness is reduced, can prevent thousands of hospitalizations.”

Why are flu shots often ineffective? Other vaccines have better track records: the measles vaccine is 97 percent effective, for example, in children who get both of the recommended doses. "

6. Bob338

Bob338

EXACTLY my experience, even down to the time frame!

7. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

8. Bob338

Bob338

A vaccine is supposed to cause your immune system to build up an immunity in you. The problem I see is that if you have a weakened immune system for whatever reason (chemotherapy, age, etc.,) your immune system can't and won't build up much of an immunity. To my recollection, the only time I've had the flu was in that episode where I did get a shot and two weeks later I was down, and while there was no doctor involved I had all the flu symptoms about which everyone was complaining at the time. Maybe that one time built up enough of an immunity so I've never had something like that again, but why change a winning hand? I just finished a course of immunotherapy for environmental allergies. They did one of those panel tests to see what antigens they would give me for continuation of the therapy if indicated. I came up completely clean. They have no basis for any antigen cocktail so I was discharged. Yet I continue with environmental allergy symptoms. I just believe as you get older our systems start wearing out and there's not much you can do. No flu shots for me.

I believe our bodies are just like cars. They are pretty good while they're new but shortly you start having to replace or repair, first tires, brakes, belts, and make adjustments for wear. Over time everything is worn out and you've replaced alternators, resealed transmissions and maybe even freshened up the motor. You fix or replace one thing and another wears out or breaks, and pretty soon it's all worn out and you can't fix nor replace just one thing except the whole car. But you can't replace that old body of yours! That's about the time a wrecking yard, or cremation, is in order!!

9. HAL9000

HAL9000

Proof is through correlation. If you have a sample of 10,000 people that had the vaccination, and 10,000 that didn't have the vaccination, and 50% of the people that were not vaccinated got the flu, you would expect a vaccination that didn't work would result in a similar number of vaccinated people contracting the flu. If say 5% of the vaccinated people got the flu, you have 5000 sick people that were not vaccinated compared to 500 vaccinated sick people, that's a pretty strong correlation that the vaccination works.

Myself, I currently don't get flu shots. The last flu I had was probably 20+ years ago. Now I'm not counting anything that was just a day illness as those generally are not the flu, but rather could be something like food poisoning, etc. Even that has been pretty rare for me. But I am up to date on routine vaccinations for polio and such as those are proven to work.

10. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Blaster, that would be a great idea but how many people? Also, I'd recommend half be under age 40 and the other half be elderly. Although not "scientific" because it doesn't take into account race, gender, current health conditions, etc, it would be interesting.

11. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I'd have better odds in Vegas with galbud at our Craps table. I'll never get another flu shot.

"Officials feared that the flu vaccine may not work particularly well this season, but it appears to be faring slightly better than expected.

Preliminary testing by the CDC suggests the vaccine is probably more protective than it was in Australia during its 2017 winter. The Australian interim estimate suggested the H3N2 component of the vaccine — and H3N2 was the main virus there during their most recent winter — was only about 10 percent effective.

That means if 100 people got the flu shot and all were exposed to H3N2 viruses, only 10 would have been protected.

Jernigan said it looks more like the H3N2 portion of the vaccine is performing here like it did last year, when it was 34 percent effective at preventing infection. Unfortunately, that’s about on par for the flu shot’s H3N2 component, which is the weak link of flu vaccine.

The CDC should have interim data on the question of the vaccine’s effectiveness in the second half of February."

12. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

13. Blaster3

Blaster3

as sad as it is for that 18 year olds death, there had to be other mitigating factors at play, just from observing the photo, she's malnourished, skeletal looking frail & possibly dieting to the extreme (otc dietery product use goes unnoticed); sad, depressed, troubled look in her eyes which she tries to hide with the 'forced' smile; a prime candidate for a depressed immune system... butt hey, let's blame it on the flu...

EDIT: gotta love it when 'they' use percentages to scaremonger... i read an article that said a certain crime was up 300% from this time last year, what they neglected to say was that last year only had 1 so this year is 3 o_O

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    SARGE likes this.
  14. Blaster3

Blaster3

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 8:07 AM
  15. David M

David M Techphile.

Too many in this world are of the thinking that, "Well if it ain't 100% effective then it's no good."

Seatbelts are not 100% effective against injury or death...but do you still wear them?

It's called putting the odds more in ones favor.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    SARGE likes this.
  16. Blaster3

Blaster3

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM
  17. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I love playing the odds and accept losing each week playing the Lottery because I've played the same 6 numbers for 20 years, and the first time I don't play they will hit (in my mind). That happened to my best friend way back there as he went to the cabin in Oklahoma one weekend and forgot to play. His numbers hit on Saturday night and I could tell something was wrong for a week before he told me. I said, "yeah, right". I asked his wife who's honest as the day's long and she confirmed. Both are that way. All that being said, I come back from Vegas with $$ playing the odds. I now use a paper towel from truck to open the door at 7-11 and then the cooler then toss it. I use the toe of my shoe to exit the door. I will never touch another door handle to enter/exit any public door with bare hand again. Gas pumps a no-brainer. Disposable gloves. I'd say that plays the odds in my favor a little. But I really don't want to touch something that hundreds of others have touched who picked their nose, coughed, scratched their butt or didn't wash after restroom, etc. Is why I come back from Vegas a winner every time with that winning attitude.

18. Blaster3

Blaster3

i just go next to a tree, bush, up against the building or an open car door... can't be bothered with all that crazy crapola using napkins/towels to grab handles & flush...

19. bob

bob

DavidM. You will get this.
    "I no longer fear that movie Idiocracy" :)

20. Blaster3

Blaster3

is this what the idiocracy of fear is all about... "the age of american unreason", by susan jacoby...

it's kinda confusing... it's a fear of fearing fear of fearing things you fear, or something similar, i guess, idk... wierd???

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 1:33 AM