Texas Watermelon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SARGE, Oct 11, 2017.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I knew this pic of me existed because I've seen it a few times. Finally today my little brother sent it to me. Me at 3 years-old sitting on a 40 pound watermelon, lol. They don't grow 'em this big anymore.

Attached Files:

Bob338, rwest and rjfvillarosa like this.
  2. Bob338

Bob338

Likely because the 'watermelon gardens' don't exist anymore. We had several of these where you went in and got a huge slice of cold watermelon for 25 cents. Haven't seen any of those in years.

3. Blaster3

Blaster3

4. David M

David M Techphile.

Maybe the attorneys got to the growers and said they are too much of a liability? :)

5. Bob338

Bob338

In those days society wasn't as litigious as it is today, and even less so in Texas. The 'gardens' to which I referred, looked like a school cafeteria only using picnic tables for seating. Nothing else served but big slices of cold watermelon. Salt shakers on tables. Not much to go wrong there to cause litigation. It was a favorite hangout after dances and movies for the high school kids to take dates. Very budget friendly. The 'gardens' weren't on the farms. They were put up in vacant lots with a string of large white Christmas lights for lighting. Always outdoors. Still remember the species of my favorite watermelons. Called "Grey Ghosts." Believe they had a blight of some form back in the 60's where many were lost and farmers went bankrupt. Never saw that species again and don't know if it even exists any more. Three things grown in Texas that are hard to match by growers anywhere else, watermelons, cantaloupe and pink grapefruit.

6. David M

David M Techphile.

Don't forget, now Texas has Austin. :)

7. Bob338

Bob338

Austin was nice when I went to Texas University. One of the prettiest cities in the world! It and El Paso are (political statement removed) in Texas now. It's a changin'!! Sad!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  8. David M

David M Techphile.

Not going there Bob. I value my account here. :)

Bob338 likes this.
  9. Bob338

Bob338

Forgot one other thing grown in Texas that is hard to match, BEAUTIFUL WOMEN!!!

SARGE likes this.
  10. David M

David M Techphile.

First woman that comes to mind is Dolly Parton.

11. Bob338

Bob338

Think Dolly was hillbilly from either Kentucky or Tennessee. Too many Texas gals that piqued my interest over time, starting with Linda Darnell when I was just a kid. And for a long time, ANY of the women on the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. Movie stars who I liked recently were Angie Harmon and Jennifer Garner, and don't remember that gorgeous 'pig' some years back that competed with Jayne Mansfield. Scuzzball from Odessa, Texas who I understood "knew" every man in West Texas. Made headlines involved in some murder in Hollywood. But all you had to do was travel to Dallas, stand on a street corner downtown, and watch all the beautiful, well dressed ladies going to work! They were legend then but have no idea what it's like now.

12. Blaster3

Blaster3

curvey does not equate to beauty... neither does bleach blond hair... dolly p & marylin m were two of the most hideous lookin women in history, imo...

13. bob

bob

Remember DavidM when you spit your coffee- about what is really big in Texas - the .....

14. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Only here can we go from a 3-year-old kid sitting on a huge watermelon 60 years ago to beautiful women and spitting out coffee in a thread. I love all you guys, really.