Tests Show that Win updates Alone will not Protect against Ransomeware

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by Petef56, May 16, 2017.

1. Petef56

Petef56

This is quite interesting. In this video he demonstrates various scenarios of protection on a Win7 and Win10 system where all the current Windows Updates & Patches are installed. He clicks on an executable file containing the WanaCry Ransomware to show you exactly what happens. He proves that the Win updates Alone will not Protect against this latest WanaCry Ransomware and that you need a good antivirus to actually stop it dead in it's tracks. Check it out.

To my understanding, the Windows Updates serve to protect against the WanaCry Ransomware worming through your network to infect other computers, but it won't stop the ransomeware from delivering it's payload in the local computer if you run the executable.

Some more useful info. Don't bother paying the ransom, your data is gone!

-pete-

2. David M

David M Techphile.

As I see it the only 100% guaranteed way of stopping it is to have a backup that is not connected to one's computer. Seems the other ways make it so that you are less likely to get it.

Also, if you get it and decide to pay the ransom, there are no cases to date of the dirt bags unencrypting your files. So if you do not have a disconnected backup, you are screwed.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    SARGE and Petef56 like this.
  3. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

That makes a ton of sense, David. I mean it's not like you can sue those guys for not living up to their end of the bargain. How would you serve papers on them?? I wonder how many folks they actually screw like that? It's not like your dealing with honorable folks to begin with. I'll ask a friend who has been ransomed before and how much he paid and did it work and was there a "Thank You" note attached after the transaction.

4. Bob338

Bob338

I have a grand daughter whose computer got encrypted. She had all her son's baby pictures, and others, on there and she didn't want to lose them. I think she paid either $350 or $750. She did get unencrypted. This happened about 3 years ago.

5. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I hope Grandpa told and showed her how to backup those pictures onto a CD, etc.

6. Bob338

Bob338

Grandpa knows he's controlling so I never offer help until asked. I wasn't asked!

quartet-man and Blaster3 like this.
  7. Parangles

Parangles

I got infected with Ransomware when it first came out and was able to
    get my files off by booting up with a Puppylinux CD which allowed me
    to see and copy the files to a USB stick.
    I heard that what Ransomware does is rename the files so they cannot be accessed
    by Windows. ie the connections are lost.
    But maybe its more sophisticated now and that approach wont work.

8. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Maybe it used to only rename files, but now it encrypts them. Nothing will recover them except the encryption key.