squeezing the last out of a core 2 quad cpu

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by powpowmeow, Mar 27, 2017.

1. powpowmeow

powpowmeow

Intel core 2 quad running at 2.4 ghz
    Sitting on a Asus P5K-E board

This cpu always overheats. It has for a long time. A couple years ago I got some arctic silver and a new heatsink and put it on, because of the overheating. Admittedly I don't do that sort of thing very often (ever). Fast-forward to present day, I just booted it up for the first time in months. Right out of the gate, the cpu is in the upper 60 degrees Celsius.

Naturally I will be putting another tower together sometime, but if you have any suggestions on how to milk this board and cpu for everything they're worth, I am all ears. I'm totally willing to buy another cooling solution and watch an instructional YouTube video and really try to pay attention this time hahah

Thanks guys.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

3. David M

David M Techphile.

For a CPU to idle in the upper 60's is still safe, but something isn't right. It still has some headroom before it starts to throttle itself back.

Which heatsink are you using?

Have you done a CPU stress test? If so, what temperatures do you get? The temps you get in a stress test are going to be the temperatures that really matter and not necessarily the idle temps, unless of course those are really high as well.

My favorite stress tester....HeavyLoad - Free Stress Test Tool for Your PC

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    powpowmeow likes this.
  4. powpowmeow

powpowmeow

Thanks.
    Idle at 72 degrees Celsius, after test began (cpu usage and fps) went right to 80 degrees and stayed there. aux 125 degrees fyi, it always reads super hot...
    UUsing speed fan to monitor temp

Down to 73 after 30 seconds post testing, now 67-72 after 90 seconds. Aux still at 125, guessing that has to be a misread

WWorth noting my video card is a cheap p.o.s.

5. powpowmeow

powpowmeow

Just realized I can get a replacement q6600 for $13 on ebay, so I'm not even worried. Definitely going to try overclocking now

6. glc

powpowmeow likes this.
  7. powpowmeow

powpowmeow

I am still running this tower. A few weeks ago it started turning itself off. Doesn't happen very often, only a few times. Seems to be when the CPU is maxed.

For example the first time it happened when I had been streaming HD video all day, and my graphics card is absolute trash, so I'm sure the cpu was working overtime to compensate.
    Second time it happened was a week later and the same story, streaming video all day.
    Third time was tonight, which made me go hmmm, because I wasn't streaming video, I had just booted up and started loading up chrome, but with a bunch of saved tabs so I'm sure it was stressing the CPU.

So I'm guessing this is the CPU on its last legs? Or an overheating issue. What do you think guys?

8. glc

Overheating. Get the Q9550 and a good cooler and install the cooler correctly. The Q6600 you have is known for being a furnace. Links are still valid but the CPU is now $45.

9. powpowmeow

powpowmeow

Figured as much, thank you for confirmation and direction!