So, Why Do You Prefer Linux ??

Discussion in 'Linux General Discussion' started by SARGE, Apr 21, 2016.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Just wondering why folks prefer Linux over Windows or Mac. The same question could be asked of those guys as well. What is it about Linux you like so much vs Windows? Or is it just an alternative and like Windows also?

2. David M

David M Techphile.

+ Better security
    - Won't play many games.
    - One still has to be somewhat of a computer geek to get it all working exactly as you want it.

The reason I have not switched is that Windows already does everything I need and does it well enough. In my experience, nothing is completely broke with Windows. Sure, Windows has its odd quirks here and there, but then, no OS is perfect.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  3. Blaster3

Blaster3

• it's FREE, in many ways besides monetary
    • hate being told what i can and can't do
    • no tracking tracing my actions
    • when, not if, i screw up linux, all i have to do is re-install the o/s without worrying about all my files/photos/spreadsheets... (when you have to re-install windows, your entire drive is written over)
    • no update nightmares
    • all software in the repository has been checked and re-configured to ensure privacy and performance with linux
    • list goes on...

4. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

I just did an install of Linux for the 1st time and after playing around I asked myself:

What's (obviously) in it for the average user?

After thinking about it, it was just that it's free...

5. David M

David M Techphile.

Ya kinda have to ask yourself, if it were the same price as Windows, would Linux exist at all?

6. Blaster3

Blaster3

you use linux everyday... ie: android, google, dropbox, netflix...

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for IBM LinuxONE and IBM z Systems is now available! | Ubuntu Insights

How many people use Ubuntu? | Ubuntu Insights

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

EDIT: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

EDIT2:
    although most distros are terminal/command line based, there are some that offer 'windows' like interface with clear defined start menus, the best of which is mint which helps with a smooth transition to linux.
    why bother if it's so similar to windows?...
    • first and foremost is privacy
    • it's free
    • no endless and forced updates
    • switch back-n-forth between any distribution, any time, hassel free
    • no umbilical cord
    • linux allows things to work...ie: my winblows would not send audio thru the dvi to hdmi (monitor with speakers) installed linux and magically audio is sent
    • pcmech forum for windows is full of threads, all complaints and problems... the linux forum is quiet

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  7. MaxRat

MaxRat Tweak Monster Staff Member

It has its Pro's and Con's

The only reason I stay on Windows mostly is because I use Office a lot, Network PCs for streaming and I have Steam for games.

Now I know most of those can be used in Linux as well and I havent gamed in over 2 years so i wonder why I haven't switched over.

I think seriously I am thinking about converting my media server to Linux and most of my daily PCs.

I think Linux would run much better on this AMD APU than win7 does and soon I will try it via an SSD drive for giggles.

8. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Does Linux have clean-up stuff like CCleaner and a good anti-virus/malware program? Does it need to be defragged?

9. Blaster3

Blaster3

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  10. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

What kind of firewall and browser settings?

11. Blaster3

Blaster3

12. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Wow, Blaster that's impressive. Thanks a ton. They should make a sticky of that if they haven't already. I didn't check...

13. Blaster3

Blaster3

14. imort

imort

I can't say that I actually prefer Linux over Windows or visa verse.
    I'm using Windows at my home laptop and mostly Linux on my servers, except Active Directory infrastructure servers.

It's mostly a religious question in my book because Windows and Linux are just a tools.
    And there is no such thing that 'best tool', but only 'the tool you know the best' :)

So where I can install and configure Linux server the other guy easily can do the same with Windows

Linux servers are free, less resource-hungry and can be used almost everywhere if you have enough skill to setup and configure it.
    That's what I think.

15. RJS2

RJS2

Not like Windows. Linux is in a lot of ways different and designed as such.

1. Free. Not price!
    2. Choice
    3. Privacy and control - It does what I want, nothing more and nothing less. I control the sysytem, it doesn't control me. Cough Windows!
    4. It gets out of my way.
    5. Security.
    6. At this point there isn't much it can't do. Games - Steam is helping make that happen. And Vulkan - It'll be exciting to see how far they take it. Vulkan - Industry Forged
    7, With the proper permissions set and a strong root password, naturally malware and virii can't and won't survive. Otherwise "rm -rf /home/insert_user_here/.mozilla" (or insert other internet browser directory here) and start over.
    8. Defrag, what is that? A proper filesystem design prevents that. There are many filesystems to choose from in Linux.
    9. Did I mention freedom?

16. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

For a while, I had a dual-boot Win7-Ubuntu system. I used Ubuntu for all web browsing, and felt it was a lower risk than Win7 for malware. I also used Ubuntu for all programming, most word processing and spreadsheets. One advantage of the OS I thought was Ubuntu's package repository. If it was in the repository, I worried less about installing malware, and everything tended to work for me very easily. For example, I've used emacs and tex for, well I think forever, and installing emacs and tex in Windows is sort of a pain. To this day, in my Windows install there is some fault in the ispell dictionary, something in the way I installed it I guess, that I can't figure out. Sometimes it just won't load which is a real nuisance. In Ubuntu, it's all trivial and there were a couple of useful IDEs for tex, and C++ etc. that were easy to get and use. I ditched Ubuntu when they moved to Unity, which I detested.

One thing that Windows always had over Linux, and it's why I kept a Windows installation, was handling media files. RAW photograph and movie files. There isn't a Linux version of Lightroom, which I use for 95% of my photography. Or Premiere or AVID. I could get some of it to work with Vine, and there are Linux RAW developers and some movie editing suites, but they were limited or extremely buggy in my use, and it was just so much easier and stable to use Windows. I can't remember what workaround I had to use to get monitor calibration in Linux. Also, I'd get Word documents from attorneys that I literally could never format correctly in Linux/OpenOffice. I'd get a redline, a contract proposal with unsatisfactory elements that are marked with the strikethrough plus replacement language, and I could never never format them correctly in OpenOffice.

17. venting

venting

So I've been using Linux for a while now and I have to say I definitely prefer it to Windows. Of course it's free, more versatile... but the main thing that attracted me to Linux was the security/privacy aspect. I mean, Windows is no Mac--which is absolutely absurd in my opinion, but it's trying be. I like how uninvasive Linux is and how secure it is too. For me the only problem is games, I keep a separate Windows system for gaming, although Linux is getting better, but all my personal browing is done on Linux and I much prefer it that way. I did a lot of research before and there's tonnes of info online; this article here was pretty good at breaking down the pros and cons, my experience is pretty similar if anyone else is looking for a run down.

18. David M

David M Techphile.

If it were not for the learning curve and the fact that so many games are written for Windows, I would probably be using it now.

I'm just too lazy and game obsessed to try it. :)