Sticky Site & Forum Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Issues' started by Floppyman, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Floppyman

Floppyman PCMech Owner Staff Member

Hi all,

I thought I would start a thread and leave it open over time for feedback on how to continually improve the main PCMech site and/or the PCMech forum. New ideas for infrastructure changes, content additions/changes, etc. are all welcome here. I only ask that you keep the conversation civil. You are always welcome to PM me directly as well. Thanks in advance everyone and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

2. cuzzzzzz

cuzzzzzz

Hi.. how come you no longer show under their names which people are premier members ?

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The premiere member program has been discontinued.

4. Blaster3

Blaster3

i peruse other forums which have a 'thanks' feature whereby members can click it to say thanks for a useful/helpful post. the software also keeps a tally of how many thanks a member receives as well as how many thanks the member gave. it would appear to me to be more useful than 'like' which can be construed in several different manners, also it seems that we are clicking 'like' as a way to say thanks, as there is no alternative other than a full-blown reply.
    perhaps have both available

5. glc

In order to do that, we would have to replace the "Like" system with a full-blown rating system, which is an addon that is not free and does a lot more than we would want to deal with.

6. David M

David M Techphile.

Why did the images above our user names not transfer to the new forum software? Mine did not transfer at least. Mine was kind of a pain in the rear to make and I did not keep a copy.

Quote works differently now. I have not figured out how to use it. When I click on it the Quote button turns red and nothing else seems to happen. The text with the user name of the person that you want to quote is not there any longer. With the text being gone, of course you can't edit out text that is not relevant either....ie, make it shorter.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  7. Blaster3

Blaster3

click quote, then under dialogue window is 'insert quotes', then it will 'load' to dialogue window where you can 'shorten' it up. you can also click 'quote' from multiple replies/threads and insert them in one reply

8. glc

Avatars in XenForo are sized and handled differently than they were in vBulletin. Some came over, some didn't. Sorry about that.

You can also quote by highlighting what you want to quote, then click the Insert icon in the top of the reply box (it's the one toward the right just to the left of the one that looks like a floppy disk) and choose Quote. Then you can paste, the cursor will be in the right place.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  9. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

Here you go. I hope it helps. :)

Attached Files:

10. David M

David M Techphile.

Very cool!...thanks!

quartet-man likes this.
  11. bob

bob

I found myself setting my link directly to the forum pages because the main site has no easy top link to the forums.
    That may be a PCM choice that I respect or a possible oversight.

12. Parangles

Parangles

Thank you for the recent good articles and the nice look to the site- I hope it pays off.
    I and many others came here because a pcmech article or forum post came up
    in our search for some problem. How do you make that happen again ?
    Especially since there are a lot of help sites nowadays.

13. Blaster3

Blaster3

depends on the search engine... ie: google lists 'paying' sites first, then sites that list 'keywords' as bait, then by relevancy to actual content (so most proper results end up many pages down the list)::: startpage lists results by relevance to content of the actual keywords searched