Simple secondary system-MusicCast?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by duke-one, Feb 21, 2017.

1. duke-one

duke-one

Hi All: I am thinking of a simple music system for my bedroom. Just want a receiver, disk player and stereo speakers. Needs to be small and can't get speaker wire to speakers (small room and night stand on wheels) so want Blue Tooth powered speakers. Can't seem to get a concrete answer about the B.T. speaker able to take the music signal right from the receiver. Some not very solid info that Yamaha MusicCast receiver will send the signal to a B.T. powered speaker but no one seems sure. Seems like a smart phone is needed, don't have one, but also want this to be simple. Have a Yamaha mini system now but the sound is just OK and the disk player iffy. Fair case of upgrade-itis going on and want to be real sure it will work before spending the money.
    Thanks, Duke Masters

2. reggie14

reggie14

The main difficulty I see is finding something that sufficiently integrates a CD player into the system. The Yamaha MusicCast CD-NT670D might have been a good fit for you, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore. Otherwise I think a MusicCast receiver should work with an external CD player, but I suspect you'd have to use the receiver remote to turn on the receiver, you have to use the CD deck remote to play/pause/skip, and you'd need to use a phone app to control the speakers themselves. It seems like that would be pretty ugly to use.

Do you mind me asking why you don't rip all your music and either store it on a local computer and/or upload it to Google Play Music? It seems like that would be significantly more convenient. You could get a cheap Android tablet to use as a controller for something like a Sonos (or a pair of MusicCast speakers).

My other question is do you really need bluetooth speakers? Why can't you run speaker wire along the baseboards in the room?

For what it's worth, I love my Sonos system. You can group their speakers as stereo pairs, and once it's set up it's really easy to use. But, 1) you need a smart phone/tablet for control, and 2) it's digital music only*.

* The caveat there is that the higher-end Play:5 speaker does have a stereo input jack which theoretically could be used with a CD player. But, you wouldn't be able to control the CD player from the same interface as the speakers.

3. duke-one

duke-one

Thanks, Reggie. Not into transferring my 800 classic CD's (listen to classic 98%) to anything. Do have good WiFi from home office that reaches the bedroom well but don't see how that would help if I want to stay with disks.
    First thought was to put the equipment on my roll-about night stand so speaker wire from there would be a problem. The room is small so have to use roll-about. My current Yamaha mini system is on the night stand with a 5' base loaded FM antenna attached. Do you know if the HDMI output carries the audio from radio/CD or other source selection on the average modern receiver? I could put new receiver/CD deck on roll-about, get powered speakers that have HDMI input and that would only be one smallish cable, which is do-able.
    Duke

4. duke-one

duke-one

Doing more looking about found this possibility: HDMI out of receiver to a HDMI to Toslink adapter to powered speakers which have Toslink inputs. Anyone have experience with HDMI to Toslink adapters? This would let me put the equipment on night stand and run just one cable under bed and over floor to speaker location.

5. reggie14

reggie14

It's hard for me to picture the room... If it's a small room, why not mount the equipment on shelves and run the wires along the baseboard? And it's not clear to me why you'd be able to somehow accommodate an HDMI cable but not a pair of speaker wires. There must be something I'm missing here about your setup and/or your constraints.

Similarly, it's not clear how using HDMI or Optical would help at all. I haven't seen powered speakers with HDMI-input (other than soundbars), although it wouldn't surprise me if they exist. I've seen powered speakers with an optical input, but then you still have wire going from the receiver to one speaker, and another wire going between the speakers. If you can do that, why not simply use wired speakers?

There doesn't seem to be a great option for hooking up stereo speakers wirelessly. There are wireless transmitters/receivers, but they're mostly built for surrounds and it looks like they'd be a pain to use in the way you describe. Bluetooth speakers don't seem to exist that allow you to create a stereo pair (except for a handful of small, battery-operated speakers).

I'm simply not seeing anything that I would recommend. In fact, everything I is something I'd explicitly recommend against. Almost everything that's been coming out in recent years assumes you'll have only digital music stored on a computer or streamed over the Internet (and controlled via a phone).

I really think you should try to either: 1) use wires and mount things on shelves, or 2) bite the bullet and rip your CDs so you can buy a Sonos.

If you're worried about the ripping proces, BlueSound sells a product that will do the ripping for you, and they have wireless speakers that can be grouped to form a stereo pair. But, it looks like you'd spend ~$2,000 on that.

6. Blaster3

Blaster3

bluesound's vault is $999 and has toslink & analog rca jacks... VAULT - Bluesound

anywho, i get the rolling cart idea, assuming you will have the speakers on the cart with the player/receiver, you can drill holes in the cart at each speaker location and receiver outputs, then feed the wires through the holes and secure them underneath, and you can make those wires as short as needed...

7. reggie14

reggie14

My guess is that he intends to put the player/receiver on the cart, but have the speakers elsewhere in the room. Otherwise, why the interest in wireless speakers?

8. duke-one

duke-one

Yes equipment on cart speakers on window seat (maybe wall mountable). Room is small so cart needs to be mobile and any wire to/from it minimal, now just power to the cart. Anyone have experience with HDMI to Toslink adapters? I could use HDMI out with one cable to speaker area, adapter then powered speakers with optical input. That would do what I want , still to find out: does the receiver output all inputs and radio to HDMI out? Duke

9. reggie14

reggie14

What's the advantage to using HDMI and Toslink versus simply a bundle of two speaker wires? Isn't is effectively a single cable either way?

What you're describing should work- I just don't see why you'd want to go that way.

Edit: Actually, it looks like it won't work. Analog audio typically isn't passed-through HDMI-out.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  10. duke-one

duke-one

What ever wiring will have to go under the bed and across the floor with cable protector to minimize tripping hazards (I'm old and walk with crutch). That is why I want to minimize cables to one only. Do any of you use HDMI out and can tell me if the receiver outputs all audio sources over that? I don't have any HDMI audio to test it myself. Duke

11. Blaster3

Blaster3

how far is it from where you sit in relation to speaker location, im guessing no room on window seat for equipment or you want equipment near where you sit, for easy disc changes without constantly getting up.

12. duke-one

duke-one

About 12 feet from my location in bed to the window seat and yes would like the equipment on roll-about near me when in bed. Could put it all on window seat and use remote(s) but kind of nice to twist a knob by hand on occasion.

13. Blaster3

Blaster3

have you considered using the peel and stick cable track/conduit for the walls. i used it in spare bedroom to run cat5e and coax from baseboard up the wall over to a wall mounted tv. looks good and no cables visable. use it for the speaker wires only, although you'd have to unplug from equipment cart every time you move it

14. duke-one

duke-one

Need to keep it simple. One wire for audio, or the whole bit will have to go on window seat with remote(s). Also it is bedroom; take one CD, set up in bed for night time reading session, good night. Once again, please, does anyone know about the audio feed over HDMI? All sources output or just when TV is selected? Duke

15. reggie14

reggie14

To me, the question suggests there's more to this story than I've seen so far. I understand why you want to keep wires to a minimum. What I don't understand is why it is somehow better to use an HDMI cable to get audio to the speakers instead of a single bundle of speaker wires. It makes me think you must be thinking about doing more with this HDMI cable than as a glorified audio cable.

It seems like it would be simpler, cheaper, and more reliable to use a bundle of speaker wire than to use an HDMI cable. And as far as I can tell, there's no downside to it. Unless there's something else about your setup that you haven't said, using wired speakers seems strictly better in every way compared to a complicated setup involving HDMI->TosLink->Powered Speakers.

I'm not trying to be a jerk by avoiding your question. If you want to go that way, that's your decision. I just want to make sure I really understand what you're trying to do, because if there's a critical misunderstanding, I might tell you something will work when it won't.

But, after looking into it a bit more, it looks like HDMI-audio-out will most likely NOT work. I thought it would, but after reading about it a little more it looks like only HDMI audio can be passed-through to the HDMI monitor port. So, it might work if you hook up a DVD player using an HDMI cable, but won't work if you use a CD player with Toslink, coaxial, or analog cables.

Blaster3 likes this.
  16. duke-one

duke-one

So if the HDMI won't do what I want it is the window seat for everything or maybe just live with the Yamaha mini system which is so-so. Wanted to keep the diameter of anything crossing the floor to a minimum, that is why I was trying to figure a way to do it with one wire. As I said above my mobility is poor and tripping hazards need to be kept down. Thanks for your detailed responses. Duke

17. Blaster3

Blaster3

none of the wires/cables need cross the floor, they can all be routed along the walls or ceiling, well out of the way for 'walking' around the room...

18. duke-one

duke-one

Don't want to do that for a number of reasons: aesthetics, plaster wall that won't take stick on surface raceway, makes project more complex then I want. Going to put it all on the window seat or just call it another idea that went nowhere. Thanks all for the help. Duke Masters