Self-Driving Cars: They're Coming!

Discussion in 'MammaTech' started by MammaTech Annie, Apr 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MammaTech Annie

MammaTech Annie Staff Member

2. Brad.w

Brad.w Editor-in-Chief Staff Member

I absolutely detest the idea of self-driving cars. Cool technology, yes, but 1. I don't want to rely on a computer for all my driving. I feel like convenience like this breeds ignorance. And 2. You just know they're going to slowly phase out our ability to drive because this is "safer" and more "environmentally friendly." Why do governments hate humans? Lol

I usually try to be neutral, but stuff like this pisses me off. :\

3. reggie14

reggie14

@Brad.w - Out of curiosity, what makes driving special compared to the other tasks that largely automated by computers? The time I put into driving seems like wasted effort, and we at least have some reason to think that computers would do a better job from a safety and efficiency perspective.

I do, however, still worry about the practicality and security. I remain skeptical modern computers' ability to identify/categorize objects- particularly objects they weren't specifically programmed to recognize. Similarly, I worry about cyber attacks on cars- particularly as they become more and more connected to the Internet through infotainment systems (and for OTA firmware updates to more safety-critical driving components). So, I'm pretty skeptical of the plans to have fully autonomous cars in the next decade (and the particularly aggressive plans to have some things out in 3-4 years).

The Tesla approach seems pretty bad to me. It's not realistic to almost fully automate highway driving, but then tell and expect the driver to pay close enough attention to take over if need be. I think you pretty much need to go straight from crash avoidance systems to fully autonomous vehicles.

4. Blaster3

Blaster3

will be fun on the hwy brake checking and drifting towards the drone mobiles :D

ill be curious to see how they react to playing chicken in the real world

5. Brad.w

Brad.w Editor-in-Chief Staff Member

It's not just driving -- it's everything. It's the move, albeit very slow, towards an automated society. Sure, people might view that as a good thing from a safety and efficiency perspective. I don't necessarily agree with that, but there's a lot of other perspectives to look at, too -- more regulations, unemployment, likely a change of government, social collapse, etc. It's going to be a living hell.

But, looking at driving specifically -- I love it, cars are a hobby of mine, and in twenty years, I'm not looking forward to the "oh, we have self-driving cars now and gassers and diesels are damaging our world, let's regulate the **** out of them and/or get rid of them."

I also feel like that, with self-driving cars, it'll be easier for governments to decide where you can and can't go. It's a downhill spiral.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. Blaster3

Blaster3

without getting political here, the usa is the one country where it is a privilege to drive not a right to, so we will be the worlds experiment with autonomous vehicles. it's just another freedom we will lose. my take is we'll end up with a system exactly like trains/subways, except utilizing vehicles that we will be forced to pay for and maintain and pay for the insurance on something we'll have no control over...
    otherhand, if they go fully autonomous and a service provides all the vehicles, and all we have to do is pay a fee for a ride, that'd be fine by me...

7. David M

David M Techphile.

I see both sides of it. I don't like the idea of being told what I must ride in either Brad.

I would love to be able to take a nap on my way home from work in the privacy of my car and have autonomous cars replace the really bad drivers out there that you know instinctually are less safe than an autonomous car. Every day I see some jerk driving at least 30 MPH over the traffic flow weaving through the lanes like they are in a video game....those are the jerks that first should be forced into autonomous cars.

On the other hand I want to be able to buy myself a really nice classic car at retirement that is fun to drive and of course, that will never be an autonomous car.

Autonomous cars will never have perfect safety record but I do think they will eventually have much better safety records than that of the average human. Commercial aviation does not have a perfect safety record and never will but we still fly don't we? So stop making perfection for autonomous cars a requirement. It will never happen. It's why modern cars have seatbelts, airbags, protection cages and crumple zones.

Maybe the solution is to force the really bad drivers into autonomous cars and give the responsible drivers a choice of either? At the very least that would reduce the number of accidents making my commute to and from work faster. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Blaster3

Blaster3