Scareware attack

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by Bob338, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Bob338

Bob338

Running Malwarebytes Premium and MSE. Yesterday got in 'debate' with friend about whitetail deer. Both of us are avid outdoors people, or used to be. I had never seen a whitetail deer any place but Texas and I think I've hiked, ridden or skied over most hills in the West and most certainly in New Mexico, the area of the debate. Found a couple of answers and a forum discussing this very thing, read a thread and as I tried to click off of it, got a popup that froze my browser, Firefox. Immediately scanned with both Malwarebytes and MSE and found nothing. Only way to close browser was to reboot, which I did. Popup still there and browser still frozen and totally non responsive. Opened Edge to try to get info on issue whereupon the popup disappeared on its own, I was able to close Firefox and reopen with the popup gone. Scanned again and cleaned. Nothing. No issues the last 24 hours and more scans produced nothing.

These bad guys are pretty stupid I think. Googling the number to call (1888-610-5078) it seems some callers have been directed to other numbers based on the error codes in the popup. I don't cruise bad sites and stay pretty much on known turf, until debates like ours come up, or I have curiosity about something. Even so, looks like we're all vulnerable.

Incidentally, I lost the argument about the deer. They ARE in New Mexico, and most of the western states though I've never seen one neither on the hoof nor dead, and I can't count the numbers of deer I've put on the table or seen on the hoof, and I hunted them for food for my family for several years and since I was a kid.

2. Blaster3

Blaster3

invasive bastards, numbers grow rampant on long island, bow hunting only, so i dont bother. 100's hit by cars every year.

heres a safer link to lose your bet next time :D

White-tailed deer - Wikipedia

3. David M

David M Techphile.

In Texas they spray paint their butts brown so they look like mule deer....just to throw off people from Cali.

SARGE likes this.
  4. Bob338

Bob338

LOL! The biggest and easiest way to tell the bucks is that the white tail has one main beam with single horns growing up. The typical mule deer has 2 horns on each beam that go up from the main beam, and branch, usually into two's. The white tail has a big white tail that "flags" when they take off running. Where I lived before we had them under the deck and walking around as though they owned the place. I saw one doe actually give birth not 20' from me. We had three different types there, the California Black Tail, which is a small mule deer, the regular mule deer that live further up the mountains in the Sierras, and a hybrid of the two species. They were fun to watch. I have many photos of them, all taken within 50' of them, some just 15'-20'. I had some bowhunters begging me to hunt them on the property but I refused. They were almost pets and were quite comfortable around there, and besides, I'm opposed to archery hunting. Too cruel for me.

5. duke-one

duke-one

I once or twice had (don't remember the details) a screen pop up that claimed to be ransomeware but went away easily with a reboot. Is that "scare ware?

6. Bob338

Bob338

It's defined as something that invites you to call a number for help, then they scam you. I'd say yes.

7. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

If you don't have it already, you might like to try the NoScript extension for FF. I find that it breaks a lot of websites, as in, layout and function, but I like it for security when browsing around.

8. Bob338

Bob338

Thanks. Been running that from early on. Never did figure where that came from.