Remote WiFi speaker for background music

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by Bob338, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Bob338

Bob338

I'm looking for the best/least cost simple option for background music to my attached garage/shop. No particular budget, but lots of $$$ makes no sense for the time I spend in the shop, particularly for background. I'm listening to an iPod now but that music gets old after a while and I have to move it in and out of a car.

I turn on music on the modest "home theater" system on arising and it's on through the day in a small house. Can't be heard in shop and I'd love to connect wirelessly. Usually listen to Pandora via a Pioneer receiver connected to network. I've done some research and there are so many options I'm totally confused. I don't have nor use a smart phone so I will need to control from the speaker or computer. Amazon's Echo seems to be the one to use but as I wade through reviews and instructions I get the impression I need more than just the Echo speaker, and the advertised price changes from $35 to well over $100. Prices not a problem but I don't want to waste dollars either for just background music. Don't want Chromecast/Google stuff as I'm getting turned off by them.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

2. Bob338

Bob338

Never mind! Tons of reading and 3 hours later I've decided to buy the Echo from Amazon. $99 and looks like it will do what I want it to, and then some!

3. Blaster3

Blaster3

it's the "and then some" that'd be of concern... o_O

i just use an old portable radio (boombox), turn to a channel that comes in clear and leave it on 24/7, when i want something specific i put in a cd... i burn them as a data disc allowing for hundred songs or more on one disc...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  4. Bob338

Bob338

Got the second generation Echo yesterday. I like it! But it was a challenge to set up. There are NO instructions with it. Everything has to come from Amazon on their Alexa site. Also, the advertising and comments, are very misleading. The thing is geared totally to smart phones. I don't have one! There was reference to an app for desktops so I bought a microphone for my desktop. Didn't need it and don't need to use it for setup. Read through all their instructions. No joy. Emailed for guidance. No response even yet. Called for telephone help via their website. Got immediate return call then switched to a guy in Jamaica. Mutual love! Sharp guy. No way to set up without WiFi on the desktop, which is Ethernet. Had to use laptop for setup via WiFi. He had communication via laptop immediately, I did nothing but fire up my laptop and connect to the Alexa site for the instructions. He downloaded instructions for the Echo with a few glitches in communication, then downloaded a software update for the Echo which took an additional 25 minutes after he hung up. No apps on either desktop or laptop. Works beautifully. Have access to same things as computer such as Pandora, Amazon, Spotify, etc. Just like being married and having a wife to do everything, without the hassles and BS that comes with them! May end up with another for in the house and maybe start setting up a Smart Home. Not needed but an interesting toy! I think it's a bargain @ $99!

5. Bob338

Bob338

Should have paid attention!

After using a bit, Amazon had a cyber sale on these. Ended up buying a bunch for three of my children, along with the Echo Dots, and for myself, and a couple of TP-link Wi-Fi outlets for 120V to control other home uses. My kids can add more Smart Home equipment at their expense! Had to do it for myself as well. Bargain prices on that sale but it adds up when you buy a bunch. The little Echo Dot puts out some pretty good music as well and a snap to connect it all. Certainly not audiophile quality but works well for background and 'noise' and it may have some value as an easy to set alarm clock. Works well without a smart phone!!

6. robrpb

robrpb

Bob, I just bought three of the Echo Dots and the TP-Link Wi-Fi outlets on sale last Friday. One for myself and two as gifts. It was a good deal. Now I need to learn how to use it.

7. Bob338

Bob338

That's when I bought the ones for my family after paying full price for my Echo. I ended up with 7 Dots, including mine, and 5 outlets, two of those for me.

It's pretty easy if you have a phone. You hook up pretty normally. In my case, the first time was a bear as the instructions on the Alexa site didn't cover it and I got frustrated until I spoke to the guy in Jamaica. This time around I had it figured. From the instructions on their site you pretty well follow your nose. My laptop lost connection when I hooked into their site, not sure why, but reconnected immediately, got through their brief instruction on the 'Settings' part, hit the action button, then connect it to your Wi-Fi. I'm certain from a smart phone it's much easier. One strange thing, if you disconnect power as when to move to another room, you have to go through the connection process all over again, at least I did.