Redirects Issues?

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by auen1, Oct 9, 2016.

1. auen1

auen1

I using W7 on a pretty much clean install..
    For some reason, about once a day, I get redirected to this site.
    http://www.vowresearchgroup.com/
    If I re enter the address into the address bar, I just get a blank page.
    So far, it only happens when viewing one forum site.
    Could this be caused by the site that I'm viewing or more likely an issue on my end?
    Thumbnail below, has photo of actual page

Thanks!

General Communication Survey (October)
    Hello General Communication User,

Your Computer (IP Address ------------) has been selected to participate in an anonymous survey about your experiences with General Communication.

In consideration for your time, at the end of this short survey you will be presented with several exclusive reward offers (worth at least $70).

Want to know what the reward offer is? Complete this survey to find out!

Are you satisfied with the speed of your General Communication internet connection?
    Yes, it's fast. I'm very satisfied
    Yes, it's just ok
    No, it's not always fast
    No, it's never fast
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    2016 All Rights Reserved. This is an independent survey and marketing website which is not affiliated with or endorsed by General Communication. This website does not claim to represent or own any of the trademarks, tradenames or rights associated with any of the offers which are the property of their respective owners who do not own, endorse, or promote this website. All images on this website are readily available in various places on the Internet and believed to be in public domain according to the U.S. Copyright Fair Use Act. NOTE - This website receives compensation in exchange for promoting third party offers and the free trial offers available on this page pay this website for orders placed. Once you decide to select an offer, keep in mind you will be billed an amount described in the offer's terms & conditions after the trial period ends unless you call to cancel. Depending on the offer, you may also be billed every 30 days for a new delivery of the product (you may cancel any time by calling the merchant). *Free trial offers require shipping and handling fees. See manufacturer's site for details as terms vary with offers. See important terms and conditions regarding this survey, site, and advertisement here.

123.JPG

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. reggie14

reggie14

Is your ISP called "General Communication?"

I think it's unlikely that this is result of malware. If it really only happens on that one site then it's probably basically an ad on that site that is redirecting you. Or, maybe it's just a coincidence that it always happens on that one site and it's actually your ISP redirecting you.

3. auen1

auen1

Ya, GCI is my ISP, but
    I doubt my ISP would redirect me from my current page, to try to sell me something.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Sure they would. To avoid that, manually change your DNS to Google's public DNS - 8.8.8.8 snd 8.8.4.4. That would be in the properties of your Internet connection, TCP/IP v4.

5. auen1

auen1

I'll give that a try.
    Thanks glc

6. auen1

auen1

I set the DNS as you suggested.
    Just got another redirect.
    Same forum, but different (redirect) site though.
    Reimage Repair - Speed up my PC
    WOT puts up a stern warning.

7. reggie14

reggie14

What's WOT?

What makes you think the forum website isn't doing this? Is it done as a pop-up/over, or is it actually redirecting your main browser window?

If it's really limited to that one site then I'd start thinking it's that site. glc's suggestion was good. But, some ISPs redirect all DNS traffic to their own DNS servers. This tool should help you identify if that's going on, although there's not much you can do if they are.

8. auen1

auen1

WOT, an app called "Web of Trust".
    It runs in the background and warns web users of potentially dangerous sites.

I'm in contact with the forum's admin, where I seem to have the issue.
    He is concerned as well.
    They have the same forum software as we use here.
    The redirects only happen when I select "New Posts".

Even though my clean install is only a few days old, I'm checking my system out.
    Defender is running and Malwarebytes found nothing.

I'm not so concern with my system, but about the forum site where I seem to be having issues.

9. auen1

auen1

I am sure that the forum isn't doing this on purpose.
    No good reason to do so, members would be very mad.
    The admin is probably following this thread as I shared the link with him.
    I would guess that the forum software or my computer has a virus.

It is redirecting my main web browser.
    Redirects from forum site "tab" and replaces it with the "junk" site.

Before I used glc's advice, the tool shows 2 GCI servers, after, many Googles servers.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  10. reggie14

reggie14

It wouldn't have to be on purpose. Presumably the forum admin serves ads from an ad network. It's possible that this caused by the ads, which the admin likely has little-to-no control over (other than deciding what ad network to be part of).

If it's only happening on that one site, at that one link, then I think the odds of malware on your machine causing it is quite low. If that's the only strange thing you're seeing on the forum, I think the odds of the forum being hacked are relatively low. A bad ad is the best guess I have.

11. auen1

auen1

The ad's on the forum, are forum related, "local" sponsors. Not like here.
    I used another clean install drive, on my end and am still having redirect issues.,
    Is there easy server/forum anti malware software?
    Any other advice that I could pass on.

12. auen1

auen1

Dang, another one.
    Windows Driver Optimize
    I'm not suggesting to click these links.^^ unless you know what to do.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  13. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

If they're that intrusive - get ad-blocking software such as uBlock Origin. Add the troublesome sites to the blacklist.

14. reggie14

reggie14

You mean the forum website redirected you to that webpage? Was it still only when you clicked on the New Posts link?

15. auen1

auen1

Yes

16. boyfrenship91

boyfrenship91

I believe it's far-fetched this is consequence of malware. In the event that it truly just occurs on that one site then it's most likely fundamentally a promotion on that site that is diverting you. Or, on the other hand, possibly it's only a fortuitous event that it generally occurs on that one site and it's really your ISP diverting you.