Reading Water Meter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SARGE, Aug 10, 2017.

1. bob

bob

What happens is when the water is not shut off completely the water (with grit) wears out the seat and makes a grove.
    That can be "turned" like a brake drum with a simple tool.
    To replace the washer just turn off the water and open the faucet and replace the 10 cent washer.

2. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

bob, I may do that now on my own. Used to I couldn't turn it off at the meter because was a 50 year old meter and had to dig out dirt to find the cutoff and didn't have the strength once found so called my plumber. Too many busted knuckles. I finally paid same plumber to install a box with cutoff by the house which we use when we travel. 10 cents better than $100. Still gonna measure the leak in tub with a bucket out of curiosity.

3. Blaster3

Blaster3

washers are dated, at least 25 year old tech, all my fixtures have replaceable cartridges, which are easy to replace without calling a plumber...

4. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Never heard of such a thing.

5. Blaster3

Blaster3

6. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Thanks, but I have no idea what faucet we have in tub or sink.

7. bob

bob

You have city water so you MUST have a shutoff valve.
    Look at your water meter. Look at your home. The pipe should go straight to your house.
    Mu house has a garden hose where the pipe first gets tapped.
    There where it comes up from the ground that feeds the hose is the shutoff for the whole property.
    If you do not see it dig a little - IT IS THERE.
    house-water-shutoff-valve.jpg

8. HAL9000

HAL9000

Leaky valve in the toilet adds up to a lot of lost water too.

9. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

My great plumber came out yesterday and after 2 minutes at the meter, asked me to come out. You can't see the little red triangle on the meter (but I'll sure get better pic). He was eyeballing it as it's more sensitive to water flow and much quicker. He already had the issue solved but wanted me to see for myself. It was barely moving then he reached over and turned off the sprinkler system in the hole next to the meter in its own box. It totally stopped then he showed me the area where leak was, just pass the cutoff. $200 monthly water bill outrageous and we haven't watered with all the rain since spring. Now to call the guy who installed in 2015 with 3 year warranty. Not a company but a fireman who does this on the side like all firemen have side jobs. Otherwise the estimate is $400-600 fix by my plumber. Slow drips at the tub are nothing. Everyone has a slow drip somewhere. Stay tuned...

10. bob

bob

Get a note from your plumber and if your water company is like mine it will reimburse you.
    Even without the plumber you only need pictures and dates and proof it was fixed.
    My neighbor had the same issue under his driveway and he got his water bill covered.

quartet-man likes this.
  11. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I'm not sure about reimbursing. Like I said the graph they send each month shows comparisons for past year month to month. There is a definite period of time when the usage (?) has been outrageous and now we know. How much are they supposed to reimburse us?

12. bob

bob

For the difference. They can only go by the fact that there was a leak that was not your fault and the facts that it exists and was fixed. The difference in the average bill especially if you have a steady usage bill.
    No BS - they did it "only those questions asked"

Again. They will give back what they charged in water that is expected from the leak.

13. Blaster3

Blaster3

hmmm, all issues, including leaks, on the homeowner's side of the meter, are the homeowner's responsibility...
    they won't reimburse you for your leaky faucet, or sprinkler system malfunctions...

14. bob

bob

Our water company does.
    Here is the first link I found
    Leak Adjustments on your Utility Bill | raleighnc.gov

To say it is not possible is a misunderstanding. Yes leaky sprinklers or faucets are not covered but leaky pipes under ground where the consumer does not see (or can likely know) are.
    Why argue this? Is Texas different and they do not do it then say so. They did it 5 houses away from me so it is not an impossible issue.

15. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

bob, I've heard of this from folks but was usually after a month or so of an outrageous bill. I understand blaster's point as well. A guy could sit there for years and try to reclaim $$ from a leaking line. We are all responsible for everything from the meter to our toilet, etc. Any reimbursement from an unseen desk jockey is unlikely but worth the try.

16. bob

bob

Just logon to you water supplier and you will know.
    All I posted was I know it is possible to get money back. I am smart enough to NEVER post'[Try to assert] a "negative". :)