New built AM4 to replace AM2 equivalent to I3-7100 Kaby Lake/Faster

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by Charles, Dec 26, 2017.

1. SpencerC

SpencerC

Here is an update to the Windows debacle: Microsoft has halted updates containing fixes for Meltdown after people reported the bricking of Athlon systems. I haven't seen reports of Microsoft's fix bricking Zen based systems thusfar, but I would still air on the side of caution. You should be fine Charles :)

2. Charles

Charles

I was just reading on that. I think you are right, unless you limit the amount of data when downloading then you might be able to stop. It seems nobody with Ryzen processors are experiencing BSOD.

Indeed the culprit of my BSOD. Athlon X2, Opteron and Turion processors listed below.

STOP: 0x000000C4 after installing KB4056894 - 2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for WIndows 7 for x64

Is PC mech a good source for data recovery questions/recommendations after a system restore? Which forum?

Below are just a few options

Recover Files after System Restore Windows 7 – EaseUS

My File Recovery | Tool to Recover Files

How to recover data after Windows computer system restore

3. Charles

Charles

I should be fine with Ryzen but they haven't stop. Was just checking on Windows 10 hd and it was already downloading and installing KB40556894 less than an hour ago. Not so concern with that drive since I had already transferred everything to the other drive but have to find a way to try recovering data in that drive after running system restore.

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Don't you have your data safe on another drive? If so, just wait till you are done with everything to copy it onto your new drive.

5. Charles

Charles

POST successfully. A jumper cap works like a charm.

To be continued.

6. Charles

Charles

Build ready for OS installation, awaiting new monitor this PM.

Questions.

1. Is there a sticky for optimizing Windows 10?
    2. Recommended Firewall & antivirus for Windows 10(free/paid).
    3. Recommended app programs (adobe, etc).

Thanks.

7. glc

1. Not that I'm aware of.
    2. It comes with Windows Defender, it's sufficient.
    3. Only you know what you need.

8. Charles

Charles

I get it that my video card drivers will be picked up by Windows 10 since this old card is not supported by AMD for W10 but don't I still have to install AMD chipset drivers for X370? AMD or Asus?

Thanks.

9. glc

I see chipset, audio, lan, and usb drivers for Win 10 64 bit on the Asus support site. Radeon drivers should be in Win 10 already.

10. Charles

Charles

Up and running. Thanks GLC/Spencer.

ASUS chipset drivers are 1.3 Gb vs 64mb at AMD site. Whats the difference?

11. Charles

Charles

Pleased with built. Installed lasted BIOS and drivers. Could not bring memory speed to 2666 after changing Ram timings per specs (16-18-18-35/CAS Latency 16) and manually changing speed from Auto to 2666. I have read it's been done before even to 32oo, with 32oo memory of course, so it may very well take some playing around till it takes it. It makes a big difference when you haven't build for 9 years. Return Asus monitor for a Dell 2514, entry level IPS for photos and video editing, very nice with plenty of adjustments and cable formats. Spencer this is a very nice compact case, quiet, open tempered glass and a very good motherboard. Look forward to upgrade video card when the time is right, as I read into it a 1060 would be sweet, maybe this November. GLC I am curious without a speaker to id codes for posting how do you know what's wrong it something goes wrong nowadays?

Thanks.

12. SpencerC

SpencerC

Charles, by November NVIDIA should (hopefully) have a new generation of cards on the market. I would personally see what is offered then and compare to see what suits you best :)

13. glc

14. Charles

Charles

Makes sense to wait till prices drop. From what I am reading a 1060 would be the sweet spot for this system. If they don't drop enough by then I can always go back a notch to 1050 or 1050ti. I don't build or upgrade often so going over some is good provided the price is right. Thanks GLC that is what I actually got since mobo didn't have one.

15. glc

Unless you are gaming, even a 1050 is overkill. A GT 710 or R7 240 will support 4k. The only reason to get anything better than one of those is if you have software that can take advantage of GPU rendering.

I'm surprised your case didn't come with one of those speakers.

16. Charles

Charles

I think that may be the case with Adobe Premiere Pro. Bottom line is when November rolls around see what makes sense price wise. If a budget 1060 doesn't come close to $200 I'll likely pick a 1050ti or 1050.

I always thought that was more of a mobo feature but all things considered I was ok buying 3 for $6 from amazon. Good for 2 more builds.

17. glc

Well, some mobos do have a built-in speaker. Some mobos have POST LED's. Some cases come with speakers like that.

It depends on the version of Premiere Pro, but graphics card acceleration is optional. It can use either Nvidia CUDA or OpenCL with AMD cards.

18. Charles

Charles

Well just look at mobo's documentation and looked upon boot but no LED's. Speaking of posting came across this site with post codes, can be useful. Computer POST and beep codes

Good to know when time comes I can go with either.

19. SpencerC

SpencerC

Do you GPU accelerate your tasks?

20. Charles

Charles

I don’t with current card Radeon HD 4670.