Need to access Gmail account from my computer

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by David M, Nov 12, 2017.

1. David M

David M Techphile.

I already have a gmail account. Had this problem before but never got an answer. But this time I REALLY need to access it from my computer so I can run a PDF editing chrome app that I installed.

According to the instructions, all I have to do is enter in gmail.com and hit enter into my browser.

I get this... Sign in - Google Accounts

I enter in my name and my gmail address. my mobile phone and my alternate address.

It's not asking for my password. It just assumes that I want to start a new Gmail account.

The problem is that when I do, it says that my gmail address is already taken. Yes, its taken, by me of course. Is there an alternative way of logging in to my account other than Sign in - Google Accounts

I can get on my Gmail account just fine with my cell phone but not with my computer.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. Blaster3

Blaster3

self edited... @David M edited his post after i replied...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. Bob338

Bob338

I can't address solution to your problem but I can tell you they have made numerous changes recently. I've had problems accessing my account and mail and the screens have refused access while demanding my mobile phone. The reverse of your issue. I just kept messing with it and one day after being rejected, VOILA!, I had access doing basically the same thing over and over 4 or 5 times and suddenly I had access. Never was a password requested, just my gmail addresses of which I have two, and each has a different password as requested by Google when I got the second one!

4. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

David, since you can access it with your cell phone it's still active and authentic for you. As Bob mentioned, it may be harassing you on your PC for your cell phone but you already said you provided that on your PC. I get that from Yahoo a bunch but ignore it. Everyone thinks we all have cell phones and email nowadays. Home Depot hound dogs me at checkout to send a receipt to my email or cell. I decline, give me the paper. Other checkout places I go almost insist I give them the above. I lie and say I don't use Internet and only have a landline, which I do have.

5. bob

bob

Login to gmail on your computer first. Then see if the software sees your already logged in.
    If it does not work install chrome and login to gmail and try again.

6. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Open a new tab and go to the google.com site, top right, click on account and sign in with just your email address and password nothing else (tick remember me). Now you will be signed in, surf to gmail and you should already be signed in.

bob likes this.
  7. David M

David M Techphile.

Could you please walk me through this rj? The browser I normally use is Google Chrome. I have it set so that the Google search engine comes up. So I opened my Chrome browser with the Google search engine on screen. In the upper right-hand corner is "Gmail". When I click on that (accounts.google.com/b/0/AddMailService), I get 5 boxes that it wants me to fill in. It wants my first and last name. It wants me to fill in my Gmail address, it wants me to fill in my mobile phone number and it wants me to fill in my "Current email address".

When I fill in all those things and then press "Submit" it comes back with a message that says: "That username is taken. Try another."

Bob, I cant login to, (access) gmail from my computer. That is the problem. From my smart phone I can login.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  8. reggie14

reggie14

@David M -

The Google/Gmail link you provided in the OP doesn't appear to be a general link to log-in. It looks like its the log-in page to add Gmail service to a non-Gmail Google account.

When you first went to Gmail.com, did you put in an actual @gmail.com email address? Or did you use a Google account with your own email address? It looks like it thinks you're trying to log-in to a Google account that wasn't set up with a Gmail address, so its redirecting you to a page to create a gmail address.

9. Bob338

Bob338

I couldn't either David, I just kept angrily hitting keys and doing what I think was the same thing. And it happened, as if by magic. I don't use the gmail client. I use Thunderbird and that may have had something to do with it magically fixing itself. I even found a site for them, a forum of sorts, but got no help there. Sorry I can't help!

Why not try Thunderbird? That might magically take care of things!!

Edit: Didn't see Reggie's post. Betcha he can solve it!!

10. David M

David M Techphile.

Bob, I'm going to see what rj comes up with and then try the angry hacking method and maybe the Thunderbird method. One would think Google would know there is a problem here.

I tried searching a few forums. No luck there.

11. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Try this:

Use IE. Go to mail.google.com and hit the Sign In button.

rjfvillarosa and Bob338 like this.
  12. David M

David M Techphile.

That worked glc. Fantastic! Thanks so much!

rjfvillarosa and Bob338 like this.
  13. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

On the gmail page click on what I think will probably be "D" up in the right hand corner, click on my account, on the page that opens, under "sign in and security" click on "Signing into Google" make sure "2 step verification" is off. This way all that will be required to sign in is your email addy and password, not your cell phone number or any other info.

14. glc

Now - if you want to try to do the same thing in Chrome, go to Settings - Advanced - Passwords and forms - Manage passwords. Delete accounts.google.com.

Then go to Advanced - Privacy and security - Content Settings - Cookies - See all cookies and site data - in the search box type google - and delete accounts.google.com. Might as well delete all the cookies that have google in them.

Now you should be able to go to mail.google.com and log in.

rjfvillarosa likes this.
  15. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

Wow..another use for I.E. other than for downloading Firefox or Chrome. ;)

David M and bob like this.
  16. Blaster3

Blaster3

i find it's best to preset your browser to delete everything upon exit, and the occasional manually 'clear now'... notice the 'time range to clear' is also set to "everything"... the image is for firefox

upload_2017-11-14_9-33-43.png

17. glc

Not everyone wants to clear cookies and other such items as a matter of routine.

18. Blaster3

Blaster3

i've not had any issues from routinely deleting all that crapola, butt others have had issues by NOT doing so....

anywho, i do allow session cookies, so no issues with any visited sites... i can see an issue for those that have many logins & passwords, so just uncheck that box...

19. reggie14

reggie14

One of the big problems with clearing cookies is that it will erase authentication tokens. So, let's stay you've followed security best practices and enabled two-factor authentication on a handful of websites. In many cases, you only need to provide the second factor the first time you sign-in (and at fairly long intervals after that). That sets a persistent cookie that allows the web server to recognize the device you're using. If you clear that cookie, then you'll need to provide that second factor again.

20. Blaster3

Blaster3

not much security if say, someone got a hold of your mobile device & lucky guessed your password, the site wouldn't request the second factor because of the presence of that persistent cookie...

in that case, two factor authentication fails miserably...