Need help with computer re-build

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by Barbrich, Nov 27, 2017.

1. SpencerC

SpencerC

Just making certain, has Pitriform fixed all their security issues? I haven't touched their software in a few months, so I wouldn't know :/

2. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I'm still using CCleaner and haven't read here of anyone quitting it.

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

It's been fixed.

4. Barbrich

Barbrich

I have installed the new SSD drive, put it on SATA 1 and windows will not install
    When I get to the screen that asks where to install windows, there are no options. Oh, do I need two cables to connect this or just 1 SATA cable?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  5. glc

You need a data cable and a power cable.

6. Barbrich

Barbrich

Well I'll be heading back to Best Buy after Church. I sure wish these came with cables, mounting brackets, screws, etc... Thanks again glc for your help!

7. glc

The PSU should have plenty of power connectors, and the motherboard should have come with several data cables. If you have no spares, just use one of the ones from your hard drives being that I've recommended you disconnect them during installation anyway. The case should have come with screws and a SSD mounting bracket.

8. Barbrich

Barbrich

glc...you THE man! Why didn't I think of that...Windows is now installing... I will check back soon... Thanks again!

9. glc

Note that you should be using a SATA 6G data cable on the SSD and the two 1tb Black drives. Standard cable will work but may be a bit slower. The motherboard probably came with at least 2 of them, the connectors should be marked.

If you need more:

Coboc Model SC-SATA3-18 18" SATA III Cable - Newegg.com

10. Barbrich

Barbrich

glc, please provide a link to newegg for my power cable. I have one in the cart, but want to be sure that is right. Thank you!

11. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

Your power supply is not modular. It should have the SATA power cable you need to connect with already attached. You just need to hook it up from PSU to SSD.

12. Barbrich

Barbrich

YES!!! I have it connected now! Thanks!

13. glc

Research tells me that your PSU has 8 SATA power connectors.

Capture.PNG

Power from PSU, data from motherboard.

Are you ordering any SATA 6G cables?

14. Barbrich

Barbrich

You are right glc. I have it now! Yes I am ordering from the link you provided above. I will change to the new SATA 6G cables when they arrive. I have all the drives up and running now. Only problem is, I can't seem to get the old windows deleted. Thanks for all the help.

15. glc

Just make sure that you have the bios set to boot from the SSD, not the old hard drive. Start Windows, then go to the old drive and delete the Windows folder.

16. Barbrich

Barbrich

It will not let me delete windows on the old drive. I tried in safe mode also. I don't have permission...

17. glc

Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories. Right click on Command Prompt, select Run as Administrator. Issue the following command, where "X" is the drive letter of the old drive:

RD X:\Windows /S/Q

Then you can do this:

RD X:\"Program Files" /S/Q
    RD X:\"Program Files (x86)" /S/Q

18. Barbrich

Barbrich

That didn't work glc. On the end of each line, it said Access denied. I guess that means I will have to save all my photo to another drive and reformat and then move them back?

19. glc

No, we do have a way around it. Take ownership of the entire drive and grant full control to Administrators. Make sure you are logged into an account with Administrator privileges.

Right click on the drive, select Properties. Go to the Security tab. Click Advanced and then the Owner tab. Click Edit and change owner to Administrators. Click the box to Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. This will take a while.

When it's complete, reboot, go back to the Security tab in Properties, and click Edit. Highlight Administrators and check all boxes in the Allow column.

Note: It's possible you may still be denied access to a specific folder. If this happens, just right click on it and repeat the above instructions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all that said, it will be a lot cleaner if you just copy everything off the drive you need and reformat it (assuming you have space on another drive for them). I would not store photos or any data files on the SSD anyway. I will repost the link on how to move library locations (Pictures, Documents, Music, Videos, etc.) to a drive other than C:

How to Move Your Documents, Music, and Other Folders Somewhere Else in Windows

20. Barbrich

Barbrich

Thanks glc. I will try all this and let you know. I appreciate all the help!