My custom PC: What should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by icee, Aug 8, 2017.

1. icee

icee

I built a pc a couple years back with what I could. Recently upgraded the graphics card, tower, and misc lighting. But I want more. Any idea on what I should upgrade next? This PC is used mainly for gaming.

What I have:

Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.20 GHz
    Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Disk Drives: (2) INTEL SSD ATA 240gb
    Ram: PNY 12gb
    Power Supply: 500w

I appreciate it!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

What is your budget? What is the brand and model of the power supply? Brand, type, and speed of the ram?

3. icee

icee

My budget is $250-ish

RAM: (4) PNY 4gb DD3 DIMM.H (16gb total although my computer says 12gb is available..?)
    Power Supply: Thermaltake 500w (I couldn't find the model sorry)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. glc

There is no $250 upgrade that would make sense. No matter what you do, that video card is going to be the limiting factor in games. It's decent, but it's low end for gaming.

You need motherboard, CPU, and ram at the very least. I'd hesitate trying to upgrade just the CPU, only obsolete processors are supported in that motherboard and are not available from the major online vendors, and the fact that not all the ram is seen concerns me. DDR3 is also obsolete.

That power supply concerns me too, some Thermaltakes are decent, others are garbage, and it may not properly support a new motherboard. You do need to find the model, it should be on the unit somewhere.

I'd hold off till you can spend at least $500.

5. icee

icee

Guess I'll have to eventually replace it all lol I figured that was the outcome...computer tech evolves very quickly. BUT for now, will a new ASUS motherboard support my current CPU? I'm thinking for now I could replace motherboard and RAM while holding off for a processor and graphics card later down the road. Because at its current state, my comp has no issues with what I do on it now.

Any thoughts?

P.s. Thank you for the quick responses

6. reggie14

reggie14

No, it doesn't make sense to do that. The main reason to upgrade a motherboard is to get one that would support new CPUs. Those new motherboards aren't compatible with your old CPU. And even if they were, there's basically no reason to do it. You wouldn't get a performance benefit just by changing the motherboard. And glc's point on memory was just that your old memory isn't compatible with new motherboards and CPUs. It isn't that DDR4 is particularly faster- it's just different.

If your current system does what it needs to do now, just hold on to it until you're ready to replace everything. As glc said, you could probably get by with your current GTX 1050 for a while- it would be holding you back, but still reasonably functional.

7. icee

icee

@reggie14

Yeah I guess I'll just upgrade all three, one at a time, and install after I have all of them together

Thank you

8. Blaster3

Blaster3

you'd be better off stashing the money until you have enough for everything all at once, things change too quickly and you could be stuck with a useless 'new' part... also that power supply might be suspect and not advisable to use with the new parts, last thing you'll need is for an inadequate psu to destroy your new parts...

9. icee

icee

This is also very true. Thank you

10. glc

11. David M

David M Techphile.

12. glc

Large SSD and tight budget is an oxymoron.

13. David M

David M Techphile.

He did say a budget of $250 and the SSD that I suggested comes in at a price of $175. These days a 0.5 TB drive is not large.

14. glc

Yeah, but he needs a new motherboard, CPU, ram, PSU, and video card a lot more than he needs a new SSD.

15. rwest

rwest

If you want to put your money into your current system, this is what I'd do for $250:
    ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com
    AMD Processor FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W D8350FRHKBOX-Newegg.com
    in the cart w/shipping $244.82

For your money you get:
    1) two generations newer chipset 790 to 970
    2) 6ea SATA 6gb/s over your current 3gb/s SATA ports (any 3gb/s drives will be compatible)
    3) a current M2 slot
    4) usb 3.1
    5) one generation newer processor with an additional 5 more cores and .8 ghz faster

for a little more cash ($50ish bucks)if you go with this board:
    GIGABYTE GA-970-Gaming SLI (rev. 1.0) AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com
    you will also gain 2ea usb 3.0 ports / not worth it for $50 - just my opion

You can spend a bit less too ($25 less than the Aura) but you lose the M2 slot AND usb 3.1 although it will give you 2ea usb 3.0 ports
    ASUS - MOTHERBOARDS AM3+ AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS-Newegg.com

NOTE:
    The 970 chipset does not have the 2600 mhz Hyper transport (5200 MT/s) as your current board does, it runs at 2400 mhz (4800 MT/s) I couldn't find a MB available at Newegg that utilizes the faster FSB that I'd trust in your budget.

The Aura board is the newest( I think) and I also think has the most new features for the money. AND the 8350 is just a great cpu for the money right now. I'm not sure if any of these motherboards support the 9000 series cpus from AMD But I personally wouldn't want to run any of those HOT puppies.

Every one of these boards will support all of your current hardware(especially your memory) unless you are using ide drives.

BTW this is the end of your upgrade path(DDR3). The next step is as GLC suggested and go with either the newer AM4 socket or Intel.

Last Note: Solve your memory problem before going this route. Verify all your memory modules work properly. ;) Also verify the memory runs at the standard 1.5v for DDR3

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 5:53 AM