Sticky Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Cooncester, Feb 20, 2006.

1. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Hidden Figures. Possibly the best film I have seen in years. Despite the ugly face of racial segregation it shows what the determined can achieve..

Jbc223456 likes this.
  2. bob

bob

I just saw on Directv a science fiction movie called "Battleship Earth"
    I threw my popcorn away because it was so bad.
    It has to be on a worst list of the top 5 big budget science fiction movies, with a major star, in the history of film making.

3. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

"BattleFIELD Earth", with John Travolta?

That one is a notorious stinker. Roger Ebert: "Battlefield Earth is like taking a bus trip with someone who has needed a bath for a long time. It's not merely bad; it's unpleasant in a hostile way."

Battlefield Earth Movie Review (2000) | Roger Ebert

4. bob

bob

ms.jpg

These 3 guys barfed into their popcorn.

5. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

Saw a fairly good sci-fi. SHIN GODZILLA (2016). Some of the special effects are campy, I assumed on purpose. Like, old-school monster stuff. Like, it's a guy in a rubber suit bad. Some of the special effects in the film are that bad, but still oddly entertaining. Then some effects are terrific. If you're in the mood for it, entertaining overall.

6. bob

bob

7. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

Happened to see two films with Gal Gadot.

Wonder Woman. Did anyone actually like this? It gets those great numbers on Rotten Tomatoes and I saw all the great reviews and I had high hopes, and I hated it. The wooden dialogue, the atrocious direction, the video game special effects. They turned Wonder Woman into the Hulk. Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright are such good actresses, and it's like they decided to try and copy Gadot's accent. Cringe-worthy awful. The villain is a milquetoast, and then he transforms into a, bigger milquetoast. Wow. And then Chris Pine just completely killed it for me. Awful, all around awful. Hated hated hated this movie.

Triple 9.
    Gadot has only a small part, but definitely makes an impression. Good crime thriller. It gets sort of poor numbers and reviews; I thought it was good, entertaining. With Chiwetel Ejiofor, Anthony Mackie, Casey Affleck, Woody Harrelson, Clifton Collins Jr., and Kate Winslet. Good cast. Not perfect, has some issues, but a good crime thriller I thought. John Hillcoat is the director, who did The Road with Viggo Mortensen.

8. David M

David M Techphile.

Saw Oblivion with Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman (One of my favorite actors). It was pretty good but then I am a sci-fi fan. It has a nice twist about mid-way through. I would give it a 7 out of 10. It's worth renting but not owning.

9. AliveinIdaho

AliveinIdaho

"The Ballad of Lefty Brown". Bill Pullman as the titular Lefty, with Peter Fonda, Jim Cavizel (Person of Interest), Kathy Baker and Tommy Flanagan (Sons of Anarchy). Great western with a totally different vibe. DirecTV ppv.

10. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

11. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

Thanks for the tip. Also like Morgan Freeman. I'll give it a shot.

We'll see about that! :)

12. Blaster3

Blaster3

movies should be watched several times, over a period of time (not all in a row), to allow a better understanding of the film (even the bad ones)... that said, renting is a losing proposition, unless there is a 'dollar deal' per view

13. David M

David M Techphile.

Just saying a movie has to be really really good to own. For me it has to be worth watching more than once. For me that was Top Gun....minus many of the scenes on the ground with Kelly McGillis. The 2001 etc a Space Odyssey series of movies and all of the Star Wars movies are worth owning :)

14. Blaster3

Blaster3

you wouldn't know it was good enough to own until after watching it...

15. David M

David M Techphile.

Isn't that obvious?

16. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

I started subscribing to a streaming service just like this. It's in beta but they're saying for this Xmas. Sort of like a Roku. Schrödinger's Ultimate Streaming Box gets your personalized playlist with quantum computing apparently. They promise every movie streamed by the service is worth owning and not worth owning. The box streams the movie for you and you don't watch.

Blaster3 likes this.
  17. Blaster3

Blaster3