Making backups of purchased dvd's

Discussion in 'Software Discussion & Support' started by RenamonXP, Jan 31, 2017.

1. RenamonXP

RenamonXP

I'm looking for software to make digital copies of my dvd's. I'm in the process of setting up a 4TB my book with a TV pc to eliminate the need of having all the discs around. I've tried some difderent software but it's all giving problems with copyright issues. I believe you can have copies of legally purchased dvd's as long as they're solely for personal use. With that being said I just want to set up this TV pcmech and load all my dvd's onto the My book. What software do I need to beat this copyright problem.

2. reggie14

reggie14

I could respond, but @glc should probably weigh-in on whether this violates the rules first. Those tools fall into a legal grey area.

3. RenamonXP

RenamonXP

I agree that it sounds fishy but I've got a 3 row shelf full of dvd's and a 15 month old daughter that loves to throw things around so it's time for them to go!

4. reggie14

reggie14

Completely understand the use case. I do something similar. I'm just not sure they want copying software discussed here.

5. RenamonXP

RenamonXP

Was just looking to back these up on mp4 between 1 and 2 gb I've got over 100 of these so it'll probably kill about 2TB of space. But I understand why folks would see this as a grey area and a cause for concern.

6. Blaster3

Blaster3

it looks like all he wants to do is rip them to his hdd and then use that to view on tv, nothing illegal about that... wmp or mediamonkey should do that easily enough

7. RenamonXP

RenamonXP

@Blaster3 you are correct. I'm even looking to hang a mini pc and this my book on the wall behind the tv.

8. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I'm going to dance around the rules a bit - I suggest you do a web search for "dvd ripping". Also look for "anydvd".

9. RenamonXP

RenamonXP

@glc will these beat built in copyright implements on the discs themselves?

10. glc

I can't answer that.

11. reggie14

reggie14

@RenamonXP

One thing to think about is to buy an Nvidia Shield TV Pro, rather than a PC. The best movie management/player out there, in my opinion, is Plex. For $300, you can get an AndroidTV box that can act as a Plex server and player. The embedded 500GB hard drive won't be enough, but add an external 2-4TB USB drive, and you'll be ready to go. As a player, it will pretty much play any media file back that Plex can handle. As a Plex server, it can transcode up to 2 HD videos to other clients, like web browsers, mobile devices, Rokus, etc.

And, of course, it's an AndroidTV box too, so you can load Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc. on it.

Along the lines of @glc's post, what I'm hearing is that you probably want to make mkv files from your DVDs. Google can help with that.

12. Blaster3

Blaster3

i stand corrected...

13. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

DVDshrink will do everything you want, I have been doing exactly what you are talking about for years. I keep all my purchased DVD's safe and boxed away with a ripped copy on my NAS drive, which after copying I convert to Divx which makes them playable on my BluRay player across my network from the NAS.

14. David M

David M Techphile.

15. auen1

auen1

mkv won't play on my Sony TV. It won't read them.
    Simply renaming the file extension from xxx.mkv to xxx.mp4 will make it play though.

Much easier, find a program that will write them in .mp4

Tons of tutorials and programs that will do it.
    Google and search Youtube with
    rip my DVD's for my tv - Google Search

rip my DVD's for my tv - YouTube

16. reggie14

reggie14

If mentioning products is OK, I'll be a bit more direct.

In my case, I use MakeMKV to do rips, including for my old DVDs and for my new blu-rays. In my case, I explicitly want to keep an original digital copy of the movie, and MakeMKV lets me do that. I also occasionally use AnyDVD HD to help with particularly problematic blu-rays. The dissolution of Slysoft makes AnyDVD difficult to recommend anymore, although it's by far the easiest way to handle blu-rays that use playlist obfuscation to make it hard to pick the right video title to copy.

My primary copy of a movie is the original digital copy of the movie, because I want to maintain the quality of the original disc. I use Handbrake to create smaller versions suitable for storing on mobile devices.

If for some reason you want or have to re-encode DVD rips (perhaps because the playback device doesn't support MKV or decode mpeg2 video), then Handbrake is the way to go. It's by far the best video encoder with a GUI out there.

If you go down that route, and you only need to handle DVDs (not blu-rays), then I think you can still load a module that will allow Handbrake to decrypt DVDs on its own. See this Lifehacker article.

I'm not sure if it will work with everything, but it's using the same code as DVD Shrink, so it should work with any disc that otherwise would have worked with DVD Shrink.

17. reggie14

reggie14

True, it matters what you will use as a playback device. Not everything will work with MKV files, nor will everything handle mpeg2 video or AC-3 audio. Either you use something like a PC (or a Shield TV) that supports nearly everything, or you have to make sure the video file produced in the end in compatible with your device.

I wouldn't recommend the vast majority the DVD/video encoders out there. I'm sure many will attempt to load adware during the installation process. The programs themselves often tend to use pretty poor compression settings.

If you're going to encode, do some research on the device you'll use for playback. Figure out what it supports, then choose a corresponding preset in Handbrake that's compatible. As a sort of last resort for broad compatibility, the "fast" profiles should work on almost everything that isn't particularly finicky.

18. glc

Why? RedFox has taken all that over.

19. reggie14

reggie14

• It's a subscription-based product that was already shut down once. People with lifetime subscriptions had to repurchase.
    • The circumstances surrounding the shutdown of Slysoft and the standing up of RedFox were sketchy.
    • They have to use a Chinese credit card processor, since other processors either wouldn't accept them as customers or RedFox was worried their payments would get cut off. The delay setting up payments suggested they ran into problems.
    • It's moderately expensive and there are good cheaper/free options available.
    It would be a bit different, perhaps, if you weren't dependent on on-going updates. But, the nature of the blu-ray protection schemes pretty much requires constant updates to support new discs. And if you're not worried about blu-rays, then why even bother with AnyDVD? In that case either use MakeMKV (pseudo-free), or libdvdcss with Handbrake (completely free).

But, as mentioned before, I did repurchase RedFox's AnyDVD because blu-rays with playlist obfuscation are otherwise too big of a pain to deal with. Until MakeMKV's long-promised update addressing that comes along, there's really no good alternative (except for searching online for the correct playlist number and hoping that it's right).

20. Bilingly

Bilingly

There are two DVD rippers that I used frequently. One is Handbrake and the other is WonderFox. Handbrake is a freeware while it cannot rip some copy-protected DVDs. When I met this issue, I would take WonderFox. I have a 4K TCL TV, and it can get a better DVD viewing on the big screen with family indeed. I just followed this tutorial: How to Rip and Stream DVD to 4K TV (and HD TV, 8K TV) Then I get WonderFox. Seems like you want to play DVDs on your TV. So maybe this one can be helpful.