Loving the Raspberry Pi 3

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Strider, May 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM.

1. Strider

Strider

Well, first I like to say it has been a long time since I visited PCMech Forums. I used to build my own computers, but I went to the darkside and bought myself an 27" iMac with 5K display computer.:) However, I have a bird feeder attached to my bedroom window and I wanted to hook a webcam to stream video of the birder feeder. I didn't want tie up my main computer or one of its ports, I so I decided to buy a Raspberry Pi 3 and Raspberry Pi Camera. I have to say I think I learn a lot from tinkering around with this Raspberry Pi setup than I ever did with building my own computers. Granted it's not exactly like building a computer, but it's pretty darn close. I bought a small 7" screen and a case that fits the screen & Raspberry Pi, a microsd card, 7" touchscreen display, a case, small wireless keyboard, a Raspberry Pi Camera and a 2 meter (about 6 1/2 feet) wire cable to go from the raspberry pi to the raspberry camera. The whole setup cost about $225 dollars not bad for a small factor factor computer. I have to say for being such a small computer it sure packs a punch when it comes to computing and is very easy to use. Since it's a learning computer for children and the most popular selling computer in the U.K. ( I read that somewhere) there's a lot of tutorials out there on the internet. I say young person wanting to learn about computers or robotics ( I see Raspberry Pi computer being used for that) then I would recommend starting off with the Raspberry Pi first before building a computer. Though that is just my opinion.

rjfvillarosa likes this.
  2. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

I use my Pi as a media server for my NAS drive.

3. reggie14

reggie14

I put together a Raspberry Pi 3 based RetroPie box, but I've been pretty unhappy with USB controller lag. I need to play with it some more to see if the lag is on the Pi or on my TV.