linksys WRT54G V6 running great

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by toomyg, Dec 8, 2006.

1. toomyg

toomyg

Well with Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) micro (replacing VxWorks firmware) my router WRT54G V6 has been runner for almost a week with NO resets NO lockups or NO failed to open ports for games and stuff. I can open and close ports till my typing fingers turn blue with no problems :rolleyes:

Just thought I would pass this info on to you all that are having problems with the Linksys wrt54g version 6 model:D

2. Ob1

Ob1 EGO MY LEGO

congrats.

did this problem still continue even with the latest Linksys firmware upgrade?

3. toomyg

toomyg

Ya linksys's firmware if thats what you mean BUT this DD-WRT stuff rocks so far it make this router rock solid:p

How about your WRT54GS didn't you upgrade that one too?

4. Ob1

Ob1 EGO MY LEGO

yeah i like the open source DD-WRT as well,

i was just wondering if you upgraded to the latest linksys firmware before going to the DD-WRT, and if the linksys firmware upgrade fixed the constent router freezing problems etc?

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I'm beginning to think - why bother with Linksys firmware at all on any model that has dd-wrt available?

6. toomyg

toomyg

Ya ob1 the latest firmware from linksys didn't make any different at all in the WRT54G problems and I agree with glc if dd-wrt is there why bother with linksys firmware at all:p

7. Floppyman

Floppyman Administrator Staff Member

Even though I didn't need to, I slapped the DD-WRT firmware on my WRT54GL about a week after I got it. No problems whatsoever, and I love the extra features such as QoS.

8. toomyg

toomyg

The ONLY thing I can get to work on my router is the Log in the Administration then Log tab I enable it but it does not log any incoming or out going traffic

9. toomyg

toomyg

One more thing why does the SES (secure easy setup) button change color when I press it?
    it isn't set to do anything
    I think

10. toomyg

toomyg

WRT54G still running good with dd-wrt firmware

I ran a speed test at http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/:cool:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 9617 kbps (1202.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 361 kbps (45.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

just wondering if these are good readings? I really have nothing to compare it too

11. Alaron

Alaron Kickin' it

Looks plenty fast. As long as that is what you are paying for, or close to it, things are in order.

12. sgtspector

sgtspector

When you press it it searches for other wireless devices in your network to set up encryption. If all devices are searching encryption is setup automatically. At least that is my understanding of it.

13. toomyg

toomyg

are you taling about "SES (secure easy setup)"?

DD-WRT firmware does not make use of this button anymore but I can turn my wireless on and off with it now

14. batiso

batiso

linksys firmware i guess is lousy. Y are the not coming up with smthg stable I hv workd on 3 models only one seems to be stable although it was down for a week.
    I am just investigating on the DD-WRT maybe if this gizmo with a speed booster fails me after upgrading then I will see wat to do

15. toomyg

toomyg

I took the plung awhile ago maybe month 1/2 ago and this router seems solid why Linksys keeps Vxworks as the OS for these router only GOD:eek: could tell you that:rolleyes:

16. batiso

batiso

Toomyg

Well after upgradin the firmware not much of difference the wireless function died out and the intermittence continued.

My product once again is a Linksys WRT54GS with speed booster. I guess its correct to term it a V6 coz its a CGN9.

But am not sure which DD-WRT download to use. Basically It will be used for sharing a broad band connection for four wired PC's and 4 wirelss laptops I hope this gizmo can handle all of them.

Once again advise on what firmware to use for this Gizmo. Thanx in advance.

17. batiso

batiso

I downloaded the firmware you recommended on acertain post within this forum dd-wrt[1].v23_micro_generic

But it gives a message that upgrade failed am I using a wrong version.

wrt54gs ( With speedbooster)

18. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

You need to dig around the dd-wrt forums - you may have to prep it with a couple other flashes first.

19. toomyg

toomyg

20. rckershaw

rckershaw

Where do you find which router number or serial the Linksys is? Is it on the box it comes in? Mine just says WRT54G