Kaspersky Free released: The End of Windows Defender?

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by SpencerC, Jul 26, 2017.

1. reggie14

reggie14

While this is probably getting close to WH-territory, I'll note that I personally find retention of this data more troubling than it's use real-time for the purposes you listed. That is, it's one thing to scan plates looking for stolen cars/warrants/etc. for the purposes of alerting an officer. It's another to hold on that data to be able to go back and see a fairly detailed history of an individual's movements over the last, say, year or two.

2. David M

David M Techphile.

Yeah, ok, I agree with the possibility that Kasperski might be doing that. I would disagree with any statement that Kasperski IS doing that.

I don't think that anyone knows for sure except for those who are writing the code for Kasperski.

3. reggie14

reggie14

Agreed. I don't know they're doing that. It would almost certainly become known if they were doing that on a large scale.

I wasn't even trying to suggest they might be doing it. I'm just saying they could do it if they wanted to. That, combined with the Russian intelligence ties, is enough to keep me away.

4. David M

David M Techphile.

I think ultimately that we agree. :)

I would try Kasperski free. I don't keep anything on my computers that if it were to get out could have any sort of devastating effect on my wife or I.

I understand that others do keep potentially damaging things on their computers were it to get out.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  5. Blaster3

Blaster3

treading lightly, i will leave you with this thought...
    missing the big picture... the concern isn't over some individuals info, rather the potential to use those admin rights/privileges to literally take control of 100's of thousands, perhaps millions, of US based terminals... anyone recognize the risk? then all those 'users' that installed that software will become unwitting partners in crime...

6. reggie14

reggie14

Perhaps. Sure, they're in position to create a large Botnet whenever they want, but there's not exactly a shortage of those.

Really, I think the big concern is over the potential for targeted attacks on individuals or organizations. They have the ability to poke a hole through any organization's firewall that uses Kaspersky software and exfiltrate data in a way that's unlikely to look suspicious by network monitoring systems.

7. Blaster3

Blaster3

how many of those, as well as other threats, would come directly from the security software updater and be completely undetected... the software isn't about to quarantine itself...