Javascript

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by mike12, Feb 15, 2017.

1. mike12

mike12

The one site I am trying to fill out a form on, says that JAVASCRIPT must be enabled on my computer. I am running Windows 10. I googled JavaScript, and am still confused. From what I read, JavaScript is enabled by default in Windows 10, but how do I find that setting to be sure it was not disabled ? Many thanks, Mike

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If you are using Edge, you can try 2 things - open the site in IE, or use a 3rd party browser such as Firefox or Chrome.

3. bob

bob

Yes Java script is a browser function. It is often not enabled because it can take control of your computer if you are not careful.

Java in windows installed programs is enabled. The browser is separate. I skip sites that require java script. Unless you really trust the site then do not enable

4. SpencerC

SpencerC

Its too bad that C, C++, and C# don't get the press coverage that they should. C works wonders around Java is most applications and is faster and more secure to boot. Java got to the finish line first it would seem, and therefore they get the most press (Minecraft doesn't help).

5. reggie14

reggie14

I think you're thinking of Java, not Javascript. They're different. Java is a high-level programming language for applications that run inside a Java Virtual Machine (JVM). The JVM provides the "environment" for these apps, and itself is a special application that must be installed on your computer. One particular class of Java applications is a Java applet, which are small programs that run in JVM that itself runs under a browser.

Javascript is a scripting language that is primarily used on websites, downloaded as part of a webpage, and run by the browser. A very large percentage of sites won't run unless Javascript is enabled in the browser.

The names may suggest there's a strong tie between Java and Javascript, but that's misleading. They were developed separately for different purposes and have relatively little in common.

6. reggie14

reggie14

Huh? C and C++ ruled the world of high-level programming languages for decades, and are still extremely common in software requiring high-performance. I think it's fair to say C# is underappreciated, but it's still quite common. But, Java had a pretty big head start on it.

7. bob

bob

Whatever.
    There should be a setting in the browser to enable java script and allow you to use the site.
    Then disable it afterwards.

8. reggie14

reggie14

Seriously, do you really browse the web with javascript disabled? That breaks tons of sites. I used to try to use a browser extension called NoScript that allowed you to whitelist javascript from certain sites. I thought I'd eventually be able to train it on the sites I go to, but after a couple months of constant tweaking, I just gave up.

Javascript isn't a big security concern in the same way Java is. Firefox doesn't even provide a way to disable Javascript in its Settings menus. I definitely don't think there's a compelling security argument to disable Javascript- the risk doesn't justify the pain. Now, Java, Flash, and even Adobe Acrobat, those are different stories.

As for the OP, I think glc is right that this is a browser compatibility issue. You might see something like this if you're running adblock software, too (though, usually not).

9. bob

bob

This system is XP. I disable everything until I need it. I have installed every browser I could find in search of Netscape. The settings likely confused me. The software should have been written to say "enable Java script version 3.75 or something.
    If the ability to disable java script is gone or the choices to enable different versions is gone then so be it.

I have been so deep into the software settings I can not really say what I have turned off. This pc has a specific function.

It is never a good bet to bet against what glc says on computer issues.

BTW, I run Adblock

Also Java is not up-date able on my XP. Could be an issue

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  10. mike12

mike12

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess my question was not clear. I AM on the site but I am having issues with registering with a name and password. (Which is my problem). but at the bottom of the page it says "Note, you must have cookies and JavaScript enabled" So, how do I know if JavaScript is still enabled on this computer running Windows 10 and Edge ? Thanks, Mike

11. reggie14

reggie14

@mike12 - To the best of my knowledge, you can't disable Javascript in the Edge browser (anymore). So, Javascript is almost certainly enabled. That's probably not the problem.

Did you install any special extensions in Edge (like adblock)? And did you change any settings related to cookies?

Most likely, the website you're accessing (care to mention the site?) isn't compatible with the Edge browser. You see a warning about cookies and javascript, but that might just be a sign that site is trying to do something in Javascript that isn't supported in Edge (or a variety of other compatibility problems).

As glc recommended earlier, try using a different browser. Windows 10 still has Internet Explorer installed, although you have to run for it in the start menu (or simply type Internet Explorer in the search bar). Or, install and try Firefox or Chrome.

12. mike12

mike12

reggie14, thanks for the reply. I am trying to register for Disney tickets. Here is where I am at. As you can see it says to register as a first time user, I need to click NEED ASSISTANCE . I do that but then I have to fill in some info. and they never get back with any help. As you can also see that note about cookies and JavaScript. Here is the link, I hope. Thanks, Mike
    Disney Online Applications

13. reggie14

reggie14

Ahhh, OK. I don't think there's compatibility problem after all. The text about cookies and Javascript is just on the website- everyone sees that.

First, you know this site is legit, right? It's awfully sparse. I don't think it's a phishing site, but hopefully you know for sure.

Second, what are you able to do? Are you simply saying you're able to submit a support request, but no one ever emails you back? If so, I don't think you're running into a browser problem- I think the people running the website simply aren't supporting it anymore. Is the program you're applying for even active anymore?