Is This Any Good

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by SARGE, Mar 19, 2017.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

I suppose it's okay if you want to pay twice what it's worth for a computer that uses Linux and is totally locked down. You can't install or uninstall anything and storage is very limited.

3. David M

David M Techphile.

I would consider a Chromebook. They are a lot more resistant to malware than a PC and you are not paying exorbitant Apple prices. A lot of things aimed at seniors I think are dumbed down too much and limiting. It is insulting.

I'm a senior (over 55) and I don't need something like that or a Jitterbug phone.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  4. Blaster3

Blaster3

nothings going to prevent granny from getting ransomware as long as she's sharing amongst many others with 'bad' habits, not even a chromebook, cause she'll always open up 'aunt ginny's' mail...

go cheap, replace often...

5. reggie14

reggie14

I share the sentiment here.

While Chromebooks almost seem like a good fit, I worry about tabs. It seems like a large percentage of technologically illiterate people really struggle with browser tabs.

If price isn't a huge concern, an iPad with a separate keyboard might be a good fit. That's what my mother uses now most of the time, although she does have a PC for a few things that don't work well on the iPad. (and most of the time she has to call me to step her through how to do those things)

6. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

From what I read, her mom, and I quote "got a pop up saying they could help her computer run better, so she paid $300 and gave them permission to control her PC. They left an icon on her computer. A few months later they locked up her computer and scammed her out of $1600 more dollars. It is still locked up, She had given them her phone # and they started calling her 5-6 times a day!! I changed her number and talked her into making a police report". The PC was given to her with no recovery disk so I told her to buy a copy of Windows 7, and/or pull the HD, tie it to a brick and throw into the lake they live on and buy another HD as well. None of them are computer savvy though.

7. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

She exchanges recipes with her friends, does Facebook and plays Solitaire. She has no need for storage. She's 85 and not installing anything. Is this safer for her than a PC is all I'm asking.

8. Blaster3

Blaster3

her problem isn't with the hardware, someone needs to set up her browser to block ads and pop ups, then teach her to never click on anything from people/places she doesn't know. yes, linux is inherently safer than windows or ios, but that would not have prevented the ransome she agreed to pay...