Intel CPU Bug

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by DocMac, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

2. Bob338

Bob338

Didn't take long for reality to kick in!

Intel stock price up .65% at the moment.

3. David M

David M Techphile.

Never said that. Let me clarify. Stock price is an estimate by purchasers of a stock as to what they believe will be a companies future growth and profitability. Many things can affect this, including releasing a defective product. Releasing defective products can sometimes result in lawsuits...which can affect future profitability. Or perhaps affect future growth where some customers go to a competitor.

No, its not as simple as whether or not they released a defective product. Stock price is quite a complex thing. But producing defective products are one of many factors that can move share price.

As I said, in this situation the product defect was enough to move the share price some, but not significantly.

I never said that price was proportional to vulnerability.

4. Bob338

Bob338

Here is an excerpt from an alert sent by a major stock broker and business advisor:

"Major software makers have not issued patches to protect against the second vulnerability, dubbed Spectre, which affects
    nearly all computer chips made in the last decade. However, Google, Firefox and Microsoft have implemented measures in most
    web browsers to stop hackers from launching remote attacks using Spectre. [see story]
    Governments and security experts say they have observed no cyber attacks seeking to exploit either vulnerability, though
    they expect hackers to attempt to do so as they digest technical data about the security flaws.
    One key risk is that hackers will develop code that can infect the personal computers of people visiting malicious
    websites, said Chris Wysopal, chief technology officer of cyber security firm Veracode.
    He advised PC owners to install the security patches to protect against such potential attacks. There is less risk to
    computer servers at large enterprises, he said, because those systems are not used to surf the web and can only be infected in
    a Meltdown attack if a hacker has already breached that network.
    Microsoft has issued a patch for its Windows operating system, and Apple desktop users with the most recent operating
    system are protected. Google has said most of its Chromebook laptops are already protected and the rest will be soon."

Stock prices are determined by the emotions of buyers and sellers, just like baseball cards, or buying and selling any other item. They have little relationship to the real value of a company other than the perception of its stockholders or potential buyers.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  5. David M

David M Techphile.

There are a number of measures of the value of a company. One is market cap, which there is no dispute over because it is a simple mathematical formula. It is price per share times the number of shares issued, which is also called the stocks float.

I'm not so cynical that the price per share times the number of shares issued does not have much basis in reality. :) You have been doing this for longer than I so your definitions of value are probably more realistic Bob. :)

6. Blaster3

Blaster3

ding ding ding... stock market has nothing to do with reality...

7. David M

David M Techphile.

I disagree. If share prices had nothing to do with reality then the volatility (the beta) would be far greater. Yes there is some emotion to it but then there is current profitability, future profitability and future growth built into the prices.

There ARE hard facts built into share price. Just look at the income statements, balance sheets and the various ratios of any a publicly traded company.

If anyone thinks it is completely random then they definitely should not be investing because they do not know even the most basic fundamentals.

8. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

By the way, the January security rollup for Win 7 includes this patch. I have not noticed any performance loss.

9. Bob338

Bob338

Speaking of that update, I turned on my traveling laptop last night for the first time in a couple of weeks in order to update and duplicate some desktop files. It's been off for a couple of weeks. I was shocked to see the Windows 10 update of 1-6-2018 was already there. How with the machine off? The instant I turned it on? Or?

10. Blaster3

Blaster3

maybe ms forced 'wake up' to install it ??? or perhaps your laptop is set to wake on lan ??? or whatever it's called for a laptop

11. Bob338

Bob338

Is that possible? Computer is set to turn off when lid is closed.

12. Blaster3

Blaster3

is 'off' really 'off' ??? i don't know much about laptops... in today's climate, i wouldn't put it past an oem to 'wake' things up, butt who knows ???

13. glc

I don't think you can set it to turn off when the lid is closed. I think your only choices are do nothing, sleep, or hibernate. Even if you choose "do nothing" the display will turn off. Windows Update will wake it if it's in sleep mode.

14. Bob338

Bob338

That's the answer. It's set to sleep when lid closes, never hibernates. I just thought with everything off and in sleep mode that there would be no access. I'm very surprised.

15. glc

16. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I do know the market can be volatile and turn on a dime just from perception. A few weeks ago it dropped over 300 points before noon just from a political fake news story, the perception being bad things were fixing to happen. I heard that the average 401k that has $100k in it made 25 percent last year. I know that was all based on perception that the economy was going to get better, not the actual worth of a stock. Is why I prefer solid gold and silver. It may not make much but it ain't going anywhere...If you can't hold it do you really own it ?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 6:46 PM
    Blaster3 likes this.
  17. Blaster3

Blaster3

all things digital can be 'turned off' with a 'touch' of a button...

edit: when the proverbial crap hits the fan, i'd love to see someone walk into wallyworld and try to buy socks & a quart of milk with a gold certificate...

no matter where you are or whats goin on in the world, you can always trade that solid, tangable shiny piece of gold for some necessities...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 10:59 AM