IE-based browsers.

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by Vegas999, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Vegas999

Vegas999

I have been thinking about using XPLite Pro to uninstall IE, but before I do I wanted to find out if any of the Trident-based browsers (Ace Explorer, Acoo Browser, Arora, Avant, etc.) were any more secure than IE? What what I can tell, it seems all of them require the presence of IE to function, so if I ditch IE, I would not be able to install any of these. Does any Trident-based browser have any better security or privacy than IE?

2. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

IE for Win XP only goes up to version 6 as I recall. By today's standards - it isn't secure at all.

3. Blaster3

Blaster3

you'll have a hard time finding a decent browser that'll still support xp, especially if it's 32bit on a 32bit machine... vivaldi does, at least for now...

@EzyStvy... my original xp pro machine has/had ie 8, afterthat no updates were available for it

@Vegas999... i un-installed ie from my xp machine, however remnants of it remain, as it's part of the o/s, or i should say, the o/s needs parts of ie to work properly...

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

IE 8 was the last version that supported XP.

The only major browser that is still being updated for XP is Firefox. These updates will be discontinued in June 2018. Chrome and Vivaldi are not being updated any more. Opera supposedly is, but it's Chrome-based and security is questionable.

A Trident-based browser that's still being maintained for XP is Maxthon. This will be your best bet.

5. Vegas999

Vegas999

Maybe I should of said I have XP Pro SP3, which means I have IE8. That IE is not secure I think we can agree is a given, which is why I am thinking of nuking it. The question is...are any of the other Trident-based browsers any more secure than IE?

6. Vegas999

Vegas999

All the browsers mentioned still work on XP Pro, and each one depends on the presence of IE to function, which is the reason for my question. If I nuke IE, I cannot use Ace Explorer, Acoo Browser, Arora, Avant, etc.

So far as I know, XPlite Pro will eliminate IE entirely, and yes, that comes at a cost...though not much cost to me, as I intend to cut down XP Pro to about 900MB size. Most of what needs IE to work properly will not no longer be there. About the only cost to me is that I will no longer be able to make accounts, but then I do not need to. I have the inborn Administrator account; I created another Administrator account and a limited account. Don't need any more.

7. Vegas999

Vegas999

Which browser is (or is not) being updated is a non-issue for me. XP users must reconcile to the fact that sooner or later no browser will be updated for XP. At some point one's choice is to either move to another OS, or accept legacy software. I already made that choice, just as users of Win 2000 and Win98 have before me. Security is something they have to handle for themselves, without any help from Microsoft, updated browsers, or software makers, and now its time for XP users to do the same. Major browsers are not what I'm looking at. I'm looking for off-brands and generics. Right now though, I am trying to decide whether or not to dispatch IE, and that depends on whether any of the Trident-based browsers are worth having. I already tried Maxthon, and found it no better than IE.

8. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

Your best bet is going to be to use either the browser glc recommended, or find one that still supports XP that isn't IE, but you're going to have a difficult time doing so. You can download older versions of Chrome (Chrome 49 was the last browser to support XP). However, there have been numerous security updates to all browsers which are not included in that version since (Chrome is currently at v63). At this point, security is not something an individual user can handle on their own while running XP. There are many vulnerabilities still existing in XP which an individual user simply cannot guard against. And since many AV programs are no longer updated to support XP, a user is simply on their own.

9. Blaster3

Blaster3

10. David M

David M Techphile.

The bad guys are always looking for vulnerabilities in operating systems, browsers and other related things that are no longer supported. I would never consider using one. That would be foolish.

One day Windows 7 will no longer be supported forcing me to go to Windows 10 with all of my computers. That will be cost me money and time, but will certainly be worth it.

11. Blaster3

Blaster3

@David M ... the link i posted has many browsers that are still being updated for xp... take into account that most of the rest of the world are still using xp and ms abandoned them, as well as, usa based software companies, which has bred many to develop their own software/browsers (these are based overseas ) to provide service to those people because it is needed... ... it's nice to see someone still cares enough to continue to develop browsers and such for them...

i would use them if needed, butt my xp machine stays offline for the most part... when the day comes that i want to use it again, i hope these browsers/software will still be available

12. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

One can't expect a company to support their software forever (because that's what Windows is, software). There is no valid reason why software a company developed over 16 years ago should be expected to have support from that company for perpetuity. Software changes, upgrades are made. Sure, some customers are going to stick with the old software, but it shouldn't be up to the company to support such legacy code forever.

I don't think it's a question about the company not caring - it's not financially feasible. XP (as an example) was supported from release (August 2001) to end of extended support (April 2014). That's plenty of time for support. I wish my electronics/appliances/car/etc lasted half that long and I could still get support for it. I bought a Samsung Smart TV in early 2015 and I already got a notification message on the TV that Samsung was no longer supporting the software on the TV.

13. David M

David M Techphile.

If you think you are having to buy new replacement software too often, you think your software is too expensive, upgrading your OS is too frequent and not having enough legacy support is bad? Then try buying an Apple computer.

14. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Yes, that *IS* the issue. Without updates, you don't get security patches. That's the point of your question, isn't it?

Let's quit dumping on this guy for staying with XP. That's his choice and he knows the risks. He is simply asking about the most secure browser that still works in XP. Refer to post #4 for my answer to the original question.