I don't have fullscreen outside of Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by 357mag, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Blaster3

Blaster3

asking for specifics is like pulling teeth... is that card's dvi connector dvi-d or dvi-i... dvi-d is digital only & you need a convertor to adapt dvi-d to vga... a simple passive dvi to vga is ok with dvi-i to vga

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Nvidia didn't switch over to DVI-D exclusively till the 10 series cards. The 9800GT's I still see on line have dual DVI-I. The card usually ships with one passive DVI-VGA adapter.

3. Blaster3

Blaster3

well, nvidea's site/specs only say dual link dvi on their 8800 cards... which can be either dvi-i or dvi-d, both can come single or dual link... the '-d' doesn't stand for dual, it stands for digital only

edit: certain model 8800's specs are manufacturer specific, where they choose which format connector to use

from nvidea's website:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  4. glc

I know what DVI-I, DVI-A, and DVI-D are. I know what single link and dual link are. No confusion in MY mind.

Those old 9 series cards WILL have at least one DVI-I port, as will all cards through the 900 series. Single link will drive a 1080p monitor.

5. Blaster3

Blaster3

my posts are for the 211 other people that viewed the thread, as well as all the future viewers...

still don't see why the op cant/wont give specific make/model of the card...

in reality, it dont matter which connector, worse case scenario the adaptet wont work & he'll need an active adapter, no harm done...

6. glc

No, the passive adapter that came with the card "WILL" work because at least one of the DVI connectors "WILL" be DVI-I. Specific make and model of the card is not necessary. Picture of the adapter is in post #12.

7. Blaster3

Blaster3

how would ordinary folk know it comes with both -i & -d???

refer back to post #16 link for the 8800, the specs state "dual link dvi, multiple monitor support" with a side note that states "an external display port transmitter is required"...

also, the display specs are different for each model of the 8800 as well as which manufacturer added to them...

8. glc

EVGA GeForce 8800 GT DirectX 10 512-P3-N801-AR 512MB 256-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

EVGA 8800GT:

[​IMG]

Those are both DVI-I. Trust me - any 8800GT on the planet will have at least one DVI-I port. That one even comes with 2 adapters:

[​IMG]

The external DisplayPort transmitter is required if you wanted to use DisplayPort, which is not natively supported on the card.

NOW - can we please get back on topic? My last request to the original poster was to try a VGA cable using the DVI to VGA adapter. The adapter won't physically fit on a DVI-D connector so all this BS is not applicable. It's too bad the Viewsonic monitor does not have a DVI connector, that's a major omission in my opinion.

9. 357mag

357mag

I tried the nVidia driver. No change. The card I got long time ago. Don't think I have an adapter. This isn't a deal breaker. It would be nice to have fullscreen but it's not essential.

10. glc