How useful are Chromebooks and are they right for you?

Discussion in 'PCMech Articles and Discussion' started by Brad.w, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Brad.w

Brad.w Editor-in-Chief Staff Member

2. David M

David M Techphile.

One big benefit of a Chromebook is that they are very secure if you are not surfing everywhere on the internet. This means that you could do just your banking or check your portfolio and not worry about someone getting into those accounts via your Chromebook.

I got the idea from Clark Howard who uses just his Chromebook to check up on his money. He does not go anywhere else on the internet with it.

3. reggie14

reggie14

They're more secure (than a regular PC) even if you are surfing over the Internet, probably second only to iOS devices.

4. David M

David M Techphile.

That's what I meant, more secure than a PC. I know there have been hacks into iOS devices. How about Chromebooks? What I mean for Chromebooks is not regular websurfing....just going to a few financial related websites....like your bank and Ameritrade only for example and nowhere else.

5. Blaster3

Blaster3

same with any pc if you have a properly set up router/firewall and never visit any other sites.

people put way too much trust in google which is the largest collector of info...

6. David M

David M Techphile.

I don't know if I trust a PC over a Chromebook as far as security goes.

7. Blaster3

Blaster3

did you read post #5, it clearly states utilizing proper router/firewall and only using it for one site...
    chromebooks aren't the catch all stop all mechanism, it's personal habits and use that go awry

8. reggie14

reggie14

You're right, but a consequence of that is that systems which protect individuals from their own (poor) decisions typically end up being the most secure. Chromebooks and iOS systems are relatively closed systems, which provides significant protection against malware.

9. David M

David M Techphile.

I never said perfect. I said more secure. More means more and perfect means perfection....two different meanings.

The last time I checked we do not live in a perfect world but we can make our world more secure. :)