How to preserve unused pc components?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by tantrik, Jan 8, 2018.

1. tantrik

tantrik

Processor: Intel Core i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Motherboard: Asus H81M-E

Memory: Transcend 2GB DIMM DDR3 1333 MHz (Channel B)

Undefined 2GB DIMM DDR3 1600 MHz (Channel A)

Dear friends,

I am planning to buy a new desktop pc in couple of months with the latest generation of processor, motherboard, ram and new hard disk available in the market. I want to preserve my present pc components (processor, motherboard, hard disk and ram) for future use since they are working without any hassle. Will my present pc components function properly and last longer if not used for a long time? Should I use the unused motherboard, processor, ram and hard disk once in couple of months just to check and make sure they are in proper working condition? How effectively can I preserve the current pc components for future use if needed?

Thanks in advance.

2. Blaster3

Blaster3

i'd leave it together, remove the cmos battery to prevent corroding, box the pc up to protect from dust & moisture/humidity...

then start a thread in "build you're own pc", provide a budget cap & what type of use you're wanting to do with it, ie: gaming, computing, just browsin the web, etc.

oem pre-built computers rarely use top quality components/parts... you'll get a much better, higher quality pc suggested to you by the pro's here that have built many...

tantrik likes this.
  3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Leave the CPU, heatsink, and ram in the motherboard. Store it in an anti-static bag in a box in a dry area. Same with the hard drive.

tantrik likes this.
  4. David M

David M Techphile.

I have crates of computer components that I store in zip lock bags. It stops any effects from humidity.

tantrik likes this.
  5. tantrik

tantrik

Thanks everyone for your precious suggestion in this matter. Highly appreciate it.

6. tantrik

tantrik

When I bought the current pc components, each of those came in with plastic bags with ziploc except the hard disk and motherboard. Will it be alright to put the pc components inside those ziploc plastic bags for preservation? I initially planned to wrap the pc components with newspaper, put inside ordinary plastic bags or cardboard boxes and store somewhere in cool and dry place. Let me know where I am wrong here. Thanks.

7. glc

No, do not wrap them with newspaper. Ziploc is fine if you have them, but they should be in anti-static bags if you have them.

8. Blaster3

Blaster3

any specific reasons as to why ?

9. glc

It's not antistatic.

10. Blaster3

Blaster3

11. glc

If you need to cushion components, you can wrap newspaper outside the antistatic bag. With only 2 items (motherboard and HDD) I don't see where this would be necessary.