How to get started?

Discussion in 'Linux General Discussion' started by lisabrown69, Jul 21, 2017.

1. lisabrown69

lisabrown69

Alright, I am curious, have always been and will always be, my go-to OS is iOS (Mac), I am familiar with Windows (although I haven't used one since XP), now I want to get familiar with Linux.

How can I? I haven't researched at all (like prices etc), so I am on completely unfamiliar ground here. What am I supposed to buy/rent and how does the OS differ from iOS and Windows? Thank you for all your replies.

2. Blaster3

Blaster3

it is free, go here Download - Linux Mint install/burn the iso of your choice (64bit cinnamon for newer computers) on to a disc/thumbdrive, then you can run linux from the disc or install it on your pc... running from disc will be slow/sluggish, but will allow you to try it out without installing on your pc

lisabrown69 likes this.
  3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Linux Mint is just one of many flavors of Linux. Most distributions are free.

lisabrown69 likes this.
  4. Blaster3

Blaster3

rwest and lisabrown69 like this.
  5. David M

David M Techphile.

Older computers run Linux just fine.

lisabrown69 likes this.
  6. Blaster3

Blaster3

not all versions, older hardware fares better with xfce, cinnamon is for newer hardware

7. lisabrown69

lisabrown69

Thank you for all of your replies - will have a look at it immediately.

8. 357mag

357mag

I'm currently experimenting also. Trying Q4OS, Lubuntu, Netrunner, and I can't recall the other one. A very different philosophy than Microsoft. I've always loved Windows but the latest version doesn't compare to XP or Windows 7 or perhaps 8.1.

Download the free version of Kill Disk too. It's a DOS program that allows you to wipe your drive fast and simply. No interface needed. That way you can start with a clean slate. I can wipe my drive in about 13 minutes.

From what I can see so far the only downside to Linux is that you can't use Windows software. Most Windows programs have absolutely beautiful and highly polished interfaces.

9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

10. 357mag

357mag

I didn't know about Wine. Will remember that for future use.

11. rwest

rwest

Be very careful when installing. I messed up and didn't disconnect my other drives and Linux installed over my storage drive. Huge pain. I was able to restore the drive but lost a handful of files. maybe 15%, 85 % recovered. Been gun shy of Linux ever since. Even though I know what mistake I made.

Holy distros BatMan!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Blaster3 likes this.