Operating Systems How to bypass the login screen in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks' started by Brad.w, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Brad.w

Brad.w Editor-in-Chief Staff Member

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

This has been possible in all NT-based operating systems since at least Windows 2000. You also don't have to run netplwiz.

Search - run - gives you "Run Desktop app". This opens the old Run box, type control userpasswords2. This works on all NT-based versions since at least Windows 2000.

3. David M

David M Techphile.

My Windows 7 boots straight to the desktop. I learned to never create a login password while installing the OS....I skip that part. Why would I need this kind of security when my computer is in my bedroom and nobody except myself and my wife uses it? Never heard of a burglar logging onto someone's computer while doing a job. :)

Does Windows 10 not allow you to bypass the password part while installing the OS?

rwest likes this.
  4. Brad.w

Brad.w Editor-in-Chief Staff Member

Interestingly, a lot of people freak out at the very idea of removing that layer of security. But, like you said, if it's only you, or you and your wife, there's really no reason not to. I guess if someone stole the laptop, they'd have open access to all your stuff, but even then, it's highly unlikely.

When I installed Windows 10, I did not have that option. Granted, I installed it differently than the average user, loading it on a USB disk and booting from that.

5. rwest

rwest

I'm iffy. Sometimes I use a password, sometimes not. 10 is pretty cool that it if you don't setup a password initially, it goes straight to your desktop.

Another neat trick 10 does without a password, is that if you set up another user on the same box and also doesn't have a password; on a restart, 10 will boot to the user's desktop that initiated the restart. Once someone sets a password then you get a login screen. Although, if someone removes their password, from then on, 10 will stop at login by default. XP didn't do this. If any user restarted, XP defaulted to the login screen, even if no one used a password.

I only know this for two users, saw it with me and my son both having accounts and neither one of us had a password.

Now your article Brad is pretty cool too. Because someone who uses Cortana has to have an MS account and must use at least a 4 digit pin to login. But using Brad's method 'netplwiz' you can still have Cortana activated and still boot straight to the desktop. Nice Feature for those that do want to use a MS account.

No, but you have to really look for it. You can opt to skip each step. You can skip creating or using the MS account and you can skip using a password. Same as you can skip activating Windows when loading and setting up. but the MS account skip is almost hidden. The option is in small print near the bottom of the screen and is very light in color.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  6. David M

David M Techphile.

You should see the size of my Lian-Li server sized case modded with a full length three fan radiator on top. If a burglar can lug that off without a dolly, then he probably earned it.

I keep all critical passwords protected with LastPass, just in case. Nope sorry, my PCMech password is not one of those passwords. No offense intended. :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    rwest likes this.
  7. Petef56

Petef56

I always assign a login password on my Windows systems and then set it up to auto-login using netplwiz (or.. control userpassswords2 for WinXP) . Reason being, you need a password for certain features to work. I recall not being able create a scheduled task when there was no password on the system.

To my understanding, having a password adds a level of security if someone hacks into your system via wi-fi or over the internet where they won't have access to your files without also knowing or hacking the password, but you'd also have to have the "password protected sharing" enabled in your network security settings.

Here's a short article on the topic..
    Does having a password on my Windows login keep me secure?

8. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

That still works in Vista, 7, 8, and 10.

Petef56 likes this.
  9. auen1

auen1

Pictures please?
    Lol

10. Eakkerp

Eakkerp

My laptop is locked , and the login password is not allowed to enter ,

11. Eakkerp

Eakkerp

Thank you for your help , i have succeeded bypass Windows password to login it ,

Petef56 likes this.