Home Office PC

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by OakTree, Apr 17, 2017.

1. OakTree

OakTree

Hello,

I am currently using a core2quad 6600 based pc and it's time for an upgrade. My wife has an even weaker pc so I will probably just transfer my pc to her and build myself a new one.
    I use the computer mostly for office tasks but I like to have many apps and tabs open simultaneously.
    I don't do any type of gaming but I occasionally use photoshop, CAD (Solidworks), and Finite Element Analysis (Ansys). I use two monitors but one is pretty much dedicated to my security cameras (the DVR software is always running).
    If possible, I'd like to reuse the SSD hard drive and Nvidia Quadro K620 graphics card from my current system. My case is an Antec Sonata 2 with an Antec Earthwatts 500W hard drive. I could reuse those or buy a new case and power supply if required.

I would appreciate recommendations for an Intel based build that would suit my needs.

Thank you.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

What is your budget? What is the brand and model of the SSD? If I were you, I think I'd give your computer as-is to your wife except for the Quadro card, buy her a cheap video card, and get everything new for yourself. The price of SSD's has come way down, and the old Earthwatts may not get along with Intel's current power management states.

I do have a suggestion to get some more life out of the old one - this may be able to delay a new purchase. Buy one of these:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz OEM CPU SLAWQ EU80569PJ073N

I put one of these into my Asus P5K Pro board and overclocked it to 3.4 GHz. It is a major improvement over the E8400 I had in it.

3. OakTree

OakTree

I don't have a specific budget in mind but I suppose I'd like to keep it under $1000 CAD.
    The SSD is a Crucial M550.
    I suppose that giving my computer to my wife as-is is and getting myself a brand new is a sensible option.
    I can understand that the Q9550 is a major improvement over a dual core but is it much of an improvement over a Q6600?
    I have 8Gb of DDR2 (5300) in my P5Q-Pro motherboard. Is my cpu the performance bottleneck?

4. glc

What size is the Crucial SSD? Is it a recent model? If you reuse it, do you have a HDD to put in the box to give to your wife?

A Q9550 would be faster, but you can only open so many apps and tabs with 8gb ram before things slow down. The Q9550 does run cooler than the Q6600, uses less power, and is faster, even without overclocking. My Q9550 overclocked very easily with a slight bump to the Vcore but I have 6400 ram, not 5300.

I'd try to bump up the budget so you could get an i7 with 32gb ram.

5. OakTree

OakTree

My SSD is 256GB. The model is CT256M550SSD1. I bought it in December of 2014. I'm also using several rotating disk hard drives for storage.
    I've been thinking about upgrading my system for a while but it's my wife's complaints that her computer is very slow and frustrating that prompted me to get on it. I thought about just upgrading her computer but I might as well just give her my computer and get myself a new one. She has an AMD 4200+ with 4Gb of RAM.
    I thought I would just install my motherboard, cpu, and RAM (and maybe power supply) in her case and install new components in mine but if you recommend just getting a complete new system, I can do that. I'm willing to bump the budget if necessary.
    What do you recommend?
    Thanks.

6. glc

7. OakTree

OakTree

This sounds like a plan. Thank you.

8. OakTree

OakTree

I purchased the components last night (pending a price match approval). I bought the i7-7700K instead of the i7-7700. I didn't buy the power supply as my wife's computer has a Corsair 550W power supply (I'll check the exact model when I get home) so I'll swap hers out for mine. Will that be a problem running the i7-7700K?
    I see that the cpu does not include a cooling fan. Can you recommend a good fan to go with this cpu?

9. glc

10. OakTree

OakTree

11. glc

That particular PSU is compatible. I confirmed your Antec is not.

The big Haswell PSU compatibility list

Not worth it unless you can find a Q9550 cheap - Starmicro does not ship to Canada.

12. OakTree

OakTree

Great. Thank you very much.