Help with new build

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by clambake212, Apr 29, 2017.

1. clambake212

clambake212

Hi All,
    Been a number of years since my last build so I am not up on current "stuff". For the last 10 days I have been researching parts and I am now to the point that I have totally confused myself. I would like to build a fast, stable system using the latest technology. I am not into overclocking or gaming. I prefer an Intel CPU and ASUS MB. My budget is $800 to $1000 including Windows 10 but not including monitor, mouse or keyboard. From my research I am leaning toward a Kaby Lake processor, Z270 MB and a SSD (Samsung) for OS. A few other questions - should I go with a 2.5" or M.2 SSD? Is onboard video adequate at least initially? Any and all recommended builds would be greatly appreciated.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

3. clambake212

clambake212

Thanks for the quick reply. I was wondering why in the past the Western Digital Black hard drive was normally recommended but you have recommended the Hitachi. I have used the WD drives in the past, is there now a problem with them. Also, I am now thinking about getting a new monitor - any recommendations under $150.

4. glc

5. clambake212

clambake212

Thanks again glc. With the exception of the HD (I bought WD Black) I have ordered all the components in you initial recommended. Only thing I don't have is the PSU which should arrive today and I can start my build. Three questions - first, does it make any difference which M.2 slot to use. One is PCIe and SATA and the other is PCIe only? Second will the SSD automatically be detected? Lastly will any BIOS changes be required.

6. glc

7. Blaster3

Blaster3

fyi; wd bought out hgst (hitachi) couple years ago, and had to operate as two independent companies for two years and as of 3rd quarter of this year (iirc) all newly manufactured hitachi's are to be re-branded as wd's... either way, both hgst & wd have topped the reliability charts for quite some time...

8. ek378996

ek378996

I'm looking for another build similar to this with one question, will this run Adobe Photoshop and similar apps at a decent speed? And, I also have 2 monitors and a TV connected into my current rig.

9. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

You'll probably want to upgrade the CPU to an i7-7700 (or K version). Also, depending on how much your RAM your applications require, you could consider going up to 32GB. Likewise, you'll want a graphics card to support 3 monitors, in which case I would recommend getting a stronger power supply.

Power Supply: Amazon.com: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 7 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply 220-G2-0650-Y1: Computers & Accessories
    Possible Graphics Cards:
    Amazon.com: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 XTREME Gaming Video Card (GV-N1070XTREME-8GD): Computers & Accessories
    Amazon.com: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 SLI DirectX 12 VR Ready Graphics Card (GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G): Computers & Accessories
    Amazon.com: Gigabyte GeForce GTX GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD Video Graphics Cards: Computers & Accessories

10. glc

If you are not gaming, you don't need an expensive video card to support 3 monitors. A GTX 1050 would be more than good enough, and a 550 watt PSU is fine.

ek378996 likes this.