Heads up on a trojan for MAC's

Discussion in 'Apple General Discussion' started by rjfvillarosa, Apr 5, 2012.

1. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

2. David M

David M Techphile.

Heads up.

:)

3. HAL9000

HAL9000

I see the "A Mac can't get a virus" crowd is staying pretty quiet. I figured there would be a pile of excuses in here by now.

4. MyCattMaxx

MyCattMaxx

I know a guy who works at a Apple tech center.
    He said that they get some that have been infected, but they tell the customer that it was hardware issue or something else.
    They won't tell people they had a virus to keep the image going.

5. HAL9000

HAL9000

You mean to keep the sheep happy LOL.

6. David M

David M Techphile.

I was thinking the exact same thing but decided to say "Heads up" instead so as not to risk antagonizing them.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. MyCattMaxx

MyCattMaxx

IF I was an unscrupulous person I'd write viruses aimed at Mac just to shut the fanboys up.

8. jdeb

jdeb

Linux users are a little more realistic but I do occasionally hear that they are immune, which is not the case. I will also admit that I have never had a virus in Windows either.

9. acr98disc

acr98disc

So, they don't care about hardware image, I guess?

Yes, like people are so stupid and never going to find out... :rolleyes:

I have been to a couple Apple stores in the area. What I see there is only a handful of people really know Mac, others are there "just because", to fill in the blank. :D

10. HAL9000

HAL9000

Ummm... I dunno about you, but I've done jobs dealing with the public for about 5 years in the credit card business, about 10 years in the computer business.... YES... people ARE that stupid.

11. martson

martson

There was a time not so long ago when buying a Mac might have been good because of 3 points:

1. Macs are stable and according to Mac users who post on threads about Windows problems, Mac computers are much better ('buy a Mac' is the usual advice).

2. Macs are immune to malware.

3. Macs are nicely styled.

In answer...

1. It seems that Macs can have problems much the same as any other computer. It's only necessary to go to a few Mac forums to see that.

2. I think people's faith in Macs being immune to malware will have been rocked recently.

3. Yes, they are nicely styled.

With 1 and 2 gone, 3 doesn't seem a good enough reason to buy a Mac.

12. MyCattMaxx

MyCattMaxx

There is nothing wrong with a Mac if:
    You don't mind shelling out more money than a PC can be bought for.
    You are the type that needs plug and play
    You don't mind giving up apps that are PC only
    You don't mind becoming a "Fanboy"

Yes, You can run windows on a Mac, but why pay that kind of money to run windows?
    I can run OSX on a PC but I choose not to.

13. acr98disc

acr98disc

To me, people who "complains" about Mac and points to all the horrible things it can do to you are the one's that just can't afford it. Of course, I can be wrong here... :)

It's not like you gotta have it because someone else does. It's still a computer, it's still an OS, just different. For me, it has to be per need basis. I don't have Mac personally, because I don't need it, but would like to be at least a power user on any of them, whether it's Mac, Windows or Linux. They are all unique to me, and I wouldn't preach about any of them...

14. David M

David M Techphile.

Mac's are fine for people who are not interested in playing with what's under the hood or hardware customization. They just want a computer for getting stuff done.

Different strokes for different folks.

15. jdeb

jdeb

I would think many people buy them for the OS and advanced design. They are also great for artist's looking for the creative edge in terms of software/hardware integration. As an artist, I wish I would have paid more attention when I had an Apple Lisa but the fact is, I became comfortable with other software.

In my opinion, they have the best retail/commercial desktops. They me be more money but their attention to detail and quality components are premium. I have always admired their hardware design and chassis. Furthermore, I think their laptops are second to none.

16. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

That pretty much sums it up why they're 'better'. If they're so terrible, why are other companies always trying to imitate them (HP's Envy and Acer's Aspire S)? One wonders. Verily, when compared to Windows machines that are built to the same quality standards the price difference is pretty negligible. If there's a premium, so what? Are artists not allowed to price their own work as they see fit in a manner that compensates all the effort that went into it? Nobody is obligated to buy it. But if some want to continue turning their Yugos into 'hot rods' and then spit out vitriol about Porsches I guess no one can force them to shut up either.

Mac still can't get Windows viruses, and Unix malware is rare. Java is what causes the problem, and it's everywhere; thus, even your car or refrigerator can get a virus if its computer uses it.

The main problem with the Mac platform is not malware or lack of innovation, but the fact that Apple is indeed an arrogant company and is gradually becoming Microsoft-like, in addition to pushing their cloud, all-connected model onto its customers. Now, Microsoft would do that if they could (they've been trying), same with Google and any other conglomerate. These corporations and their models aimed at mass control are scarier than any virus any crook can unleash.

17. David M

David M Techphile.

Control freaks versus open source. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

18. martson

martson

I've heard Macs are better for artists but why? I like to do a bit of artwork for fun and interest. The programs (CorelDraw' - 'Xara Photo & Graphics Designer' - PhotoPaint) have always worked well in XP and Windows 7. How would a Mac give improvements in the way the programs work and the results turned out?

19. jdeb

jdeb

That is a great question. This is from what I know working with other artists and comparing their hardware / software to mine. I have a beast of a workstation but it is a PC. Things I have noticed... The graphics, color, and typography are better in terms of on screen "true color" and printing is noticeably clearer and precise. There are more tools and applications built in to complement Adobe products. Mac also have a plethora of advanced photo editing software that is free, pc is not even close. If I recall, I was very impressed with their keyboard shortcuts;intuitive as well as logical.

I strictly use mine (PC) for creative composition. I rarely print anything or should say if I do it is usually no bigger than 4 x 6 for quick reference. My PC is simply for taking an idea, expanding and tweaking it. In the end, I use paint media with a brush. The color thing is important and at rare times, I wish I had that Mac. It really is amazing at the difference on the screen.

20. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon!

I go with whatever gets the job done with a minimal amount of hassle. Unfortunately, more often than not, macs and mac software ends up being too restrictive because it was designed to do one task (and one task well), but if you try to do anything other than that one task or alter that task in any way, you're outta luck (unless you want to go rummaging around in the CLI).

If you throw enough money at the apple platform, yeah, you can get it to do some interesting graphics and multimedia stuff. I can typically do more with less on the PC platform--although that may change with Windows 8.