galaxy S7

Discussion in 'Tablets, Smartphones, & Mobile Devices' started by Blaster3, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Blaster3

Blaster3

i just dialed, (physically entered the number), one of the numbers i reported as scam or fraud, when i clicked on the phone (call) icon, the screen immediately turned red with the scam/fraud alert, although it did put the call through...

2. sgtspector

sgtspector

Tried it. Nothing there about reporting just to block called. Maybe don' the latest update but I could it updated a few days ago.

3. Blaster3

Blaster3

the "how to" is at bottom of page of this link Smart Call | Apps ... however on my phone the terminology is different, open 'call' app on start screen, then click the 3 vertical dots top right, click settings, scroll to "identify spam numbers" and set to 'on'... i think it was originally in my notifications on the home screen, when i swiped it, it must have automatically turned the feature on...

upload_2017-12-18_20-20-30.png

EDIT: i've checked my apps & system apps and this 'smart call' is not listed anywhere, yet it's there on my phone app... might be the way my provider (sprint) wanted it???

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  4. sgtspector

sgtspector

It must be carrier-specific. I don' t have it but I m on verizon.

5. Blaster3

Blaster3

did you turn on "show caller info" depicted in the screenshot post #63? that might need to be turned on first...

anywho, here's a link to verizon forums discussing this very thing... https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/936804

seems verizon has a pay service so they won't allow you to get the freebies, they blocked smart call... crazy bastards... see if you can download 'hiya' from the play store, it's what smart call is based on... Hiya - Caller ID & Block - Android Apps on Google Play

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  6. sgtspector

sgtspector

Yea 'show caller info' is on. This is the kind of crap that carrier's pull on subscriber's that makes people hate them. My next phone I think I am going to buy my own unlocked phone so I don't have Verizon or anyone else telling me what I can and can't have on my phone.

7. Blaster3

Blaster3

i thought all providers are required by law to unlock devices/phones by request... give 'em a call and demand them to unlock your phone... don't know if that will allow sideloading of software???

8. sgtspector

sgtspector

I have sideloaded some apps before. I installed Hiya and does the job so far. Thx

Blaster3 likes this.
  9. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

You should be able to sideload any Android device, locked or unlocked, by allowing software from unknown sources in the security settings. Just download and run the .apk.

10. Blaster3

Blaster3

out of curiosity does anyone else have smart call? which carriers do & don't allow it would be of interest...

11. eshort

eshort

my samsung galaxy s7 has lousy battery life even with the maximum battery saver activated...ie..after 2 hours on internet: battery percentage will drop from 100 to around 20%..im looking at then new google phone (forget the model designation) with then large screen--verizon store claims it has "much better battery life"..but...

ill have to obsolete all my usb charging cables and phone cases..as the google uses a different usb male connector...

12. Blaster3

Blaster3

well, this sucks... on smart aleck droid phone, i just downloaded & installed chrome 63.0.3239.111 went to chrome://flags and only a few items are available to adjust (about 11 in total) all other items are 'unavailable' on your platform...

how would i go about getting 62.0.3202.84 back ?

background here... new firefox, patched for meltdown/spectre

13. glc

The Chrome on my phone is 63. LG phone on AT&T, Android 7.0. Carrier should not have anything to do with it, they all come from the Google Play Store.

Strict site isolation is not in the flags list at all - available or unavailable.

Same deal on my LG tablet on Android 6.0.1.

Maybe 63 mobile is already patched?

14. Blaster3

Blaster3

hmmm, it was with v 62 listed above... i moved my post to phone forum

15. Blaster3

Blaster3

yeah, i'll just leave the v63 on it, butt they sure did limit user configurability

16. glc

Did some digging - I get the impression that site isolation is standard in Chrome 63 for Android. Chrome 64 will be released January 23.

If you want to go back to 62, you have to uninstall 63, then download and install 62 from an APK. In order to install anything from an APK, you have to allow software from untrusted sources.

Google Chrome 62.0.3202.84 (320208400) Old APK - AndroidAPKsBox

17. Blaster3

Blaster3

thanks for diggin that up, but i think i'll keep the v63... just would've been nice if it had more configureability , guess they don't want us screwin with it anymore... will be interesting to see if v64 desktop is as limited