FLU Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SARGE, Dec 6, 2017.

1. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

No need to repeat the pros and cons of flu shots here, who all gets and those who don't. I pretty much lost the use of a shoulder, perhaps forever, a few months ago but only because of improper needle placement not the vaccine itself. This news just makes it a more bitter pill to swallow.

This year's flu set to be one of the worst ever | Daily Mail Online

2. Blaster3

Blaster3

one flu over the cuckoos nest...

3. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

"vaccine is only 10% effective this year"

That's a shame.. On a really good year it can hit 67% effective.

4. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

as the article indicates, researchers have to roll the dice as to which particular strain of the virus will predominant and if they guess wrong the vaccine doesn't create the immunological barrier for infection. Now, couple that with the fact that viruses can and do mutate and it's surprising that efficacy eve gets above 50%

5. David M

David M Techphile.

Something is better than nothing.

6. EzyStvy

I think this year was the first year they had two different shots. One covered two viruses and the other covered four.... I was given the "four" which is what I wanted.

On a related note - This same discussion is going on in a Prostate Cancer Support group that I belong too. Most don't do flu shots... I'm waiting to hear back from guys from my comments about how the flu kills more people every year than prostate cancer does.... Course the flu kills kids and women... so it's not a completely fair comparison...

I'm kind of big on prevention.... My Doc keeps track of this stuff and gives me Tetanus booster shots etc...

EDIT: And I agree with David's "Something is better than nothing" statement... The medical people are concerned about the little boy that cried wolf syndrome and are still suggesting people get the flu shot...and get in the habit of getting it.

I get my shot at Tom Thumb. (safeway) Besides my insurance paying for it, Tom Thumb gives a 10% off everything in your basket discount to be used in the next six months.

7. mbossman2

Influenza deaths per 100,000 population: 1.4

8. Blaster3

Blaster3

concerning the 1.4 deaths per 100k, any stats on their state of health & age just prior to contracting the flu... bet most were very very young or elderly with pre-existing health issues...

9. mbossman2

10. David M

David M Techphile.

Not worried about the deaths...I'm relatively healthy.

The problems with the flu is the nastiness of having it for a few weeks, the possibility of spreading it to my wife, and having to take the time off from work and the possibility of her having to take time off from work.

The flu shot is never perfect and never will be which still makes it worthwhile for me. People who never get the flu shot, get sick and then go out in public are being selfish as hell.

11. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Last time I got a flu shot, it gave me the flu. No thanks, I'll take my chances.

Bob338 likes this.
  12. EzyStvy

Course it's basically impossible to find an expert that will say you can get the flu from the shot.. What they will agree to is that the shot takes two WEEKS to kick in and odds are you were already infected.

13. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I agree with you and Steve. I never got the flu shot until I began having more serious issues that sneaked up on me with a vengeance. For myself it's trying to cut the odds to being in my favor, even a few percentage points. Taking cholesterol pills despite their pros and cons, gastro pills to stave off esophagus cancer, two aspirins every day to help prevent strokes and massive amounts of anti-inflammatory supplements containing turmeric, are just attempts at playing the odds since I already have issues with the above. They say the flu is tougher on older folks with issues so gotta do the shot just because. Btw, the flu is just a more serious version of the common cold, a virus which to my knowledge a virus doesn't have a prevention to begin with, only treating symptoms. So the entire flu shot thing could be a joke so prevention is key.

For myself and those whom I know, we aren't germ-a-phobes but it begins with our hands. We never leave home w/o a small travel size liquid hand sanitizer (70%) available anywhere and easily carried in purse, a pocket or a vehicle. Think about all those germs on that 7-11 door you opened and especially the gas pump. Think about all the things the folks before you just did with their hands, lol...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  14. David M

David M Techphile.

Exactly, the bodies immune system needs some time to create the antibodies necessary to fight a virus that is new to it. The viruses that are injected are either dead, highly weakened or have a very small presence.

15. Blaster3

Blaster3

i, for one, do not believe in coincidences... i know many people that 'caught' the worst flu they ever had shortly after receiving a flu shot...

last time i had any immunization shots, they were delivered by this contraption, Military Vaccine Jetgun (AIRGUN) Injections , a lifetime ago...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  16. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

OMG, that brings back memories, all bad !!

17. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

Why You Need the Flu Shot Every Year

Something I have wondered if it's a correlation like, when you go to the doctor's office/hospital to get your flu shot, you enter an environment that's filled with sick people coughing and sneezing, and so you get exposed to the flu etc in a higher concentration. I get a flu shot every year. Years ago, I alternated back and forth getting it and not getting it and kept track of how many times I was sick. When I got the flu shot, I was sick about 1 time less per year. The only year I had no colds was a year that I got the flu shot. The worst illness I ever had, with a hacking cough that lasted a month, was a year when I didn't get a shot. After that year, I always got the shot. YMMV.

18. bob

bob

People can get free flu shots at the CVS stores in my area and probably many other "safe" chain stores that fill prescriptions.

19. Blaster3

Blaster3

it's not a need, it's a personal choice, no one knows your body better than yourself...

heck, most docs misdiagnose mild food poisoning as the flu, why? because they take shortcuts, no tests, just listen to patient and diagnose flu & give script for whatever over-advertised meds the patient asks for...

Bob338 likes this.
  20. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

You don't need a flu shot, all you need is fresh air, home cooked meals and exercise. I have just passed the 60 barrier, I have worked out doors for the better part of 45 years, even when I worked for the government 90% of my time was spent out on site, they even threatened to make me "peripatetic" at one point which would have seen an end to my mileage and subsistence allowances.
    Stop eating supermarket ready meals, they are designed to make you ill so that the supermarkets can get a kick back from the pharmaceutical companies after they have sold you drugs to supposedly make you well again.
    I can honestly say hand on heart that I cannot remember the last time I had a cold or cough.

Bob338 likes this.