First build - for video streaming to my 42inch tv.

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by lonewaffle, Nov 10, 2017.

1. lonewaffle

lonewaffle

This is exactly what my next question was going to be. I didn't know if there were good wifi-enabled motherboards in my price point. Thanks for giving me the list. I think I have all my pieces ready now. I will do a little bit research on these motherboards and choose one from either MSI or GIGA. My wife is not a fan of ASUS.

Regarding the case, I love it. It is small and awesome!
    I actually had this one in mind, it comes with a 300W powersupply, It is a Rosewill MicroATX slim case. Now I am conflicted. Is it better to have a 400W or 450W power separately?
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EMSH9Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I wanted to add SSD to my build. Does normal HDD work fine ? (1TB HDD is almost half the price of a 240gb SSD)
    Also, if I cut down my RAM to 4GB, does it work well for my needs?

1. Light browsing, like posting in forums and stuff
    2. Watch youtube, netfix, amazon videos

2. Blaster3

Blaster3

my windblows xp machine is a pentium 4 , 4 gigs ram, onboard graphics, dell oem circa 2005... it has no problem, minimal buffering if any, with online videos & you-tubes... that's with only a 25mbps download cable service (i refuse to pay xtra for their higher tiers)...

your experience is going to be more dependant upon isp service type & level(teir) rather than your hardware...

3. reggie14

reggie14

I'm no power supply snob, but I'd be reluctant to use the included power supply from a low-c0st vendor like Rosewill.

A normal hard drive would be fine. Just make sure the case you ultimately choose has a 3.5" internal HDD bay. All the cases, except for the NUC I suggested, would support a 3.5" HDD.

That being said, upgrading to an SSD from an HDD is one of the more noticable upgrades you can do. If you just intend to browse and surf, you don't need a lot of space. You'd probably do fine with a 120GB SSD, although I think 240GB is a better sweet-spot when balancing price with potential future capacity needs.

Could you do 4GB instead of 8GB? Probably, but I wouldn't. Browsers can be pretty RAM heavy if you use lots of tabs. In fact, I'd suggest a single 8GB DIMM instead of the 2x4GB DIMMs that GLC and spencer recommended. That way you could easily double it to 16GB down the line if you ever needed to. At your budget, I think it's better to retain upgradability than to get the slight performance bump from dual-channnel memory.

If you do decide to do 4GB of RAM, then definitely get it as a single DIMM so you could buy a second.

4. lonewaffle

lonewaffle

Sweet. I will use a 8gig single RAM then. Budget just bumped to under $450 :( RAM is insanely expensive now.

New question: does the cpu come with a cooler ? Do I need to buy a cooling fan or something for it?
    I didn't notice it till now.

I found this in dell website,
    Inspiron Small Desktop | Dell United States
    It looks like everything I would need. Do you think it is a good buy?

5. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Yes, the G4600 comes with a cooler as does the i3.

That particular Dell is not so good.

That Rosewill case you are looking at is micro-ATX, not mini-ITX. The included PSU is junk. You might as well save money and hassles and get the system I recommended - the motherboard has 4 ram slots so you can do 8gb dual channel and still have an upgrade path. It also can fit a full height video card if you need one later. Bottom line - get a micro-ATX case that YOU like, just make sure it will fit a standard ATX PSU and get the EVGA I recommended. The Wi-fi adapter I recommended has an antenna on a cable for better positioning options.

If you don't want an Asus board, then get this one:

GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H LGA1151 Intel Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard

6. lonewaffle

lonewaffle

here is my final choice. Got this motherboard on sale, looks fantastic.

Gigabyte GA z270 - priced at : 104.99 and a rebate of $25, final price at: $79.99
    GIGABYTE GA-Z270XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
    Processor i3-7100 - $109.99 from amazon (7th gen kaby lake)
    Ram : Ballistix 8GB LT Sports - $87.99
    Power: EGVA 450 W - $35.88
    SSD Drive : Kingston 120GB - $57.99
    Case : Coolermaster HAF 912 - $40 (on sale + rebate)

TOTAL : 411.84 (slightly above budget, but I think i can handle)

If i use a G4600 processor, it comes down to $389 something
    There is a liquid cooling fan for sale at $25. Unsure whether to get it or not.

Should I wait for Black Friday deals? It looks like motherboards are super cheap with 8th gen processors being introduced.

7. glc

I'd recommend you NOT get Ballistix ram. Get the Vengeance I recommended, that's a 4 slot motherboard so the 4x2gb kit would be best. Are you sure a 120gb SSD is large enough? Is the EVGA the B3 or a different 450? You don't need a liquid cooler, the stock cooler that comes with the CPU is fine.

8. reggie14

reggie14

@lonewaffle -

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure @glc meant the 2x4GB kit (not the 4x2GB kit). That's a perfectly sensible thing to do, since you've still have spare memory slots for future upgrades. In most cases, running 2 DIMMs will improve memory performance over running a single DIMM. But, if you somehow found a great deal on a single 8GB DIMM, I wouldn't worry about it; in your use case, I think you're unlikely to get a noticeable benefit from dual-channel memory.

I doubt you need much storage space, assuming you really do just plan to stream and browse on the computer. So if you're really on a tight budget, 120GB is probably fine. But, I think 240GB is probably a better choice, since it's only a little more and provides a hedge against other uses of the machine down-the-line. I've used Kingston SSDs in some low-cost settings, when they were much cheaper than the alternatives. It's probably fine, but given current prices, I'd probably pick up a Crucial or Samsung SSD if I were buying one now: 250 GB or 120GB.

9. lonewaffle

lonewaffle

Alright, here is the RAM choice. There is a GSkill 8gb ram ddr4 2400 on rolling sale (newegg.com). It is sold for $69.99 and the reviews are very good.

I think it was EVGA 450W, that is also on sale $17.99 after rebates. Its bronze certified, I think g2 or g2l something. My budget build will be done if i go with this.

newegg is being flooded with motherboard sales. I am reconsidering my options for motherboard since most of them are pretty good. I am now considering mobos with good audio/video for display, since thats what I am primarily going to use the computer for. Need it do well on 1080p video and tv audio.

10. glc

Please give us the exact EVGA model number. The B3 is the cheapest 450 EVGA that I'd trust, their cheaper units are not made by a quality OEM. Modular makes for much easier cable management. If you think I'm being anal here, I am. A quality PSU is essential for a reliable system.

On Intel systems, Ballistix and G.skill can have issues. I did mean a 2x4gb kit, I apologize. 2400 speed 1.2 volt ram is the best choice, and a dual channel kit gives you better performance.

Agree with Reggie, the only SSD's I'll buy are Samsung, Intel, or Crucial. I have not had good luck with Kingston.

The motherboard has nothing to do with video, the video is in the CPU. Audio is a different story but all onboard audio is pretty decent these days.

Are you sure you want a full size ATX system?

11. lonewaffle

lonewaffle

I dont know much about ATX / MicroATX / MiniITX stuff. If the only difference is the size, I can live with it.
    Here is my new choice SSD : its samsung and its 240gb on sale for $90
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM - Newegg.com
    I can always add more HDD space, I have more than 3 TB HDD's lying around uselessly.

EVGA, i think the sale ended and my cart just got back to its original price. The B3 model is $39.99, no harm getting good psu like you mentioned. So I will choose that. Here is the link to it.

EVGA 450 B3, 80 Plus BRONZE 450W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-B3-0450-V1 - Newegg.com

RAM is vengeance 8gb 2x4gig kit ($10 cheaper than 1 stick)
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product..._mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    I will continue to watch out for sale.

So my new set up is this:
    Mobo : $79.99
    SSD : $89.99 ($40 - over my budget of original $50)
    PSU : $39.99
    RAM : $89.99
    CPU : $109.99
    Case : $38.99

New total is closer to $450. If I go with a normal 1 TB HDD, I can bring down the cost to $400, but SSD's are better, so I will just keep that.
    If there is anything I missed or need to be changed, let me know. I am looking out for sale of mobos, so anything closer to $90 is good buy for me now.

12. glc

All looks good to me! I'd spend the $450 and grab it.

Comment on the motherboard: No built-in Wifi, you will need a card such as I recommended. If you are going to be streaming over Wifi you need a good one, dependent on your router model and distance from the router.

13. reggie14

reggie14

Here's a decent AC1200 wifi card: ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1

It's similar to the Gigabyte card that glc recommended earlier, but it supports higher speeds (assuming your wifi router does too).

That being said, while wifi is theoretically plenty fast for streaming, reliability can be a problem depending on your environment. Ethernet is obviously preferred. Powerline networking can be hit-or-miss like wifi, too. It usually works well if both ends are on the same circuit, but speed and reliability drops off a lot when you have to cross over to a different circuit. Unless you're in a densely populated area (like an apartment), I'd probably go with wifi over powerline.

14. glc

I would have recommended that Asus originally, but it's out of stock.

15. lonewaffle

lonewaffle

16. glc

Nope. The B3 is made by Super Flower, a top line OEM. The K1 is made by HEC, a very so-so OEM, and it's not modular. If you can get a B3 for 40 bucks, grab it while you can.

17. SpencerC

SpencerC

SanDisk/Western Digital are also very decent drives. The Sandisk Ultra 3D and WD Blue 3D are pretty excellent SSD's that give Samsung a run for their money. In terms of reliability, especially nowadays, most consumers don't need to worry about TBW ratings as 95% of all consumer drive interactions are more read heavy than they are write heavy. I've personally got many, many SanDisk SD cards in my cameras and 2 SSD's in my office PC that have been going strong for a few years now. Although, Khalil might have his own input to make.

18. glc

90 bucks for a 250 is a good price, why not stick with Samsung at that price? Same price as a Blue and only 5 bucks more than a Sandisk 240.

19. lonewaffle

lonewaffle

20. glc

No, you need at least DDR4-2133, with DDR4-2400 preferred. Good SSD.

Better grab most of that stuff tonight, I see some of the sales expire tonight.