Firefox crashing my XP

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by bob, Jan 26, 2017.

1. bob

bob

The update crashes my system. Installed the previous version and it works. Forgot and it updated again. GRrr

2. bob

bob

conathst.exe fills taskman

3. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

Firefox has crashed on my Win7 computer for a while. I do keep a lot of tabs open that I want to bookmark etc. It happens very frequently since the previous update (sometimes in a half an hour). There was an update earlier today, but it still crashes. It has been non-responsive for a good bit too (I am not sure how many versions), but it either finally becomes responsive or I close it and open it again.

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Conathst.exe is a Norton process. Sounds to me like Norton is not playing nice with Firefox.

5. bob

bob

thanks glc
    This is my folding pc which is quite unaccessible for posting

6. bob

bob

norton support is dancing trying to solve this. I let them see while remotely controled, opened firefox and Conathst.exe filled taskmanager
    On second crash
    LOL

7. auen1

auen1

Norton supports XP?
    I thought I heard that they "officially" stopped supporting XP when Windows did.
    Just wondering..
    Thanks!

8. bob

bob

I dont know. This computer is as accessible as you bathroom. I have to start all over. First from this system then to the other because IE does not work.
    I am not paying a hunderd bucks to get a newer os on a 15 year old system that is only worth the time and data.
    They do not need to support XP they only need it to work. There are no XP updates to mess with.

9. auen1

auen1

Not that I care, but I'm wondering if you feel that Norton fills all the security holes in your Xp system?
    Is Norton free or do you pay for it?
    Just wondering...

10. bob

bob

Both. This is a free edition via a rebate credit card. Got it at a one day egghead sale. But Yes it costs about 50 for 3 licenses on average.
    I know that layer of security is necessary and I know when I can shut it off to go to video sites and watch new release movies.
    I will probably uninstall it from my xp if It keeps me from using it

I can just use xp for what I already have and just not browse to sites that could infect it.
    I have a couple of licenses left on Norton if anyone wants then, About 10 months left. All I need to do is send an email link.

11. Blaster3

Blaster3

mse still works on xp and gets updates

EDIT: Security Essentials 4.4.304 XP

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  12. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Yep - so does Malwarebytes.

13. bob

bob

OK I fixed it. It is the Norton toolbar in Firefox. Disabled it and now it works.
    Once I disabled Norton antivirus and it still happened I knew it had to be triggered in the Firefox.
    Norton still does not have the solution on their website. Score another for Pcmech.