Finally building a new gaming rig

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by LeftyAce, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Jbc223456

Jbc223456

To further that point, with the i7, you are getting 4 physical cores, but 8 "virtual" cores due to hyper-threading. I think you'll be very satisfied with your choice. :)

2. LeftyAce

LeftyAce

To be fair, the AMDs have virtual cores as well, so either way you count it it's a lot more cores.

3. Blaster3

Blaster3

electric cars are the future as well, does buying one right now make any sense... no, because of limited recharging stations, limited mileage, so for someone traveling 'round the country it's a poor choice, for someone staying within a few miles of home it might make sense... same for gamers, they wanna play the latest games now, not 5-10 years from now...

btw, have you actually purchased a ryzen yet? i'd be interested in your 'real world' analysis...

4. David M

David M Techphile.

We don't know if overall the Ryzen will end up faster. Faster, as always, will depend on the application as well. Don't trust the corporate hype from Intel or AMD....seeing is believing.

5. SpencerC

SpencerC

I know first hand knowledge is always the best, but what is wrong with using reputable review sites for information? Also, on the topic of virtual cores AMD's SMT has been proven to be superior to Intel's Hyperthreading when the virtual threads are addressed (again based on outside information). I'm not loyal to any particular brand, but as a consumer it is certainly offputing that almost everyone here believes AMD is still bad, so let's stick with Intel/NVIDIA and continue to put down anyone that says otherwise. I completely understand wanting to work with reliable parts, but again AMD hasn't put anything out on the market that is unstable or unusable. If you would refer back to the launch of x99 some of the same problems can be seen. But it's Intel, so it's ok. I really don't understand the mentally here sometimes (not to say that you guys don't know what you are doing, but innovation relies on people trying the new which is not necessarily locked down to "enthusiasts")

6. LeftyAce

LeftyAce

I appreciate the back and forth; I'm not following everyone's advice (you guys are disagreeing, after all), but I have taken the points into account... But let's not get too excited here :)

Right now I almost can't go wrong: a toaster would be faster than what I'm running currently.

Jbc223456 likes this.
  7. David M

David M Techphile.

I don't believe AMD is bad. It's nice to see AMD start to become competitive again in the high-end CPU category with Intel after six years or so. I only selfishly care because competition keeps prices down and bang for the buck up. I'm not a fanboy of either...I have built computers with both. I will believe Ryzen is an overall superior product to Intel CPU's only when I see it, and not before then. I see that as being more of a realist than a pessimist.

8. LeftyAce

LeftyAce

Is there any reason to use the double sided sticky pads that came with the H90 cooler? They're little foam pieces that go between the backplate and the motherboard. I'm inclined to stick them to the backplate, but leave the wax paper on the motherboard side so the backplate doesn't get bonded to the motherboard.

9. LeftyAce

LeftyAce

Alright, problems!

I assembled the basics on a wooden table. Motherboard, 1 RAM stick, CPU, CPU cooler. I have the 24 pin power connector AND the 8 pin 12V power connector connected.

When I short the power switch posts, the fans come on (and the Corsair water pump, I think), and a nice line of glowing orange light starts pulsing along the edge of the board. I see nothing on the screen (connected to the on-board DVI output, or to the on-board VGA) and my keyboard's numlock key doesn't light up.

I tried different RAM slots, and each of the sticks in the kit I bought, one at a time. No difference.

I just spoke with Asus, and they said that my ram is not on the QVL for this board. Looking at Corsair's compatibility checker, Corsair lists "CMK16GX4M2A2400C14" as compatible with my motherboard. I have "CMK16GX4M2A2400C16" (last digits 16 instead of 14).

Is there anything else I should check, or do I need to return this RAM and get the 14 kit? Unfortunately the case I have doesn't have BIOS speaker, so I don't know if there are any beeps.

EDIT: Somehow the only keyboard I have is an old IBM Model M. I've tried it connected directly to the PS/2 port on the mobo, as well as connected through a PS/2-to-USB adapter. The keyboard works fine in my other computer.

-Lefty

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  10. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

11. LeftyAce

LeftyAce

Water pump (3 pin) is connected to the CPU fan header (4 pin). The radiator fan is connected to "CHA_FAN1"

12. LeftyAce

LeftyAce

Update: I realized the speaker cable in my old machine is long enough to reach the new motherboard after I fished it out of the case. No sounds.

When I power it on, the fans spin up, spin down, and then spin back up and stay steady.

Edit to add: when I received the motherboard, some of the pins on the back had poked through the anti-static bag.

Edit 2: If I remove all ram sticks and power on, I hear beeps: long, short short, and that pattern repeats. It looks like that's ASUS's "no memory detected" code. So the speaker is working...

13. glc

Try connecting the pump to one of the CHA_FAN headers and the fan to the CPU fan connector.

If that doesn't fix it, you may have a defective CPU or motherboard.

14. LeftyAce

LeftyAce

Thanks GLC. I tried that, but no change.

I just spoke to someone else at ASUS, and was informed that I need to update to the latest BIOS to support my CPU, otherwise the board won't POST. Assuming that is reliable information (unlike their RAM excuse), they say I need a Skylake processor. I'm going to see if my friend has one I can borrow, otherwise I may pick this up for $60: Intel Pentium G4400 Skylake Dual-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662G4400 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics-Newegg.com

EDIT: Or I can send the board to ASUS to update the BIOS. I have to say, I'm not thrilled with this 'solution' from them :p

15. David M

David M Techphile.

Lefty, the color coded RCA sound ports on the motherboard are pre-amp out's. They need to be connected to an audio amplifier.

You can select which audio output your motherboard uses under Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Manage Audio Devices.

16. LeftyAce

LeftyAce

I'm not sure I know which color coded sound ports you mean. I connected the BIOS speaker from my old case to the speaker pins on the new motherboard, and I can hear beeps when I try to boot with no RAM. So the speaker is working. With a ram stick in place, I get nothing.

17. David M

David M Techphile.

Ok. The BIOS speaker is a completely different thing.

18. glc

I just reviewed the thread thoroughly - I think you would be better off returning that motherboard and getting one with a Z270 chipset. I apologize for not catching this sooner, I would never recommend a Kaby Lake with a Z170.

19. LeftyAce

LeftyAce

20. LeftyAce

LeftyAce

According to Asus (phone), the prime Z270-K does not support my processor without a bios update either.

Only the Maximus 9 series supports the 7700k from the factory (and costs $100 more).

So, if I'm going to need to figure out a way to do a bios update with another CPU anyway, is it still worth exchanging the z170 for a z270 first?

Edit:how about this Mobo? ( better shipping options.)

Amazon.com: ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 2 LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard: Computers & Accessories

I'd then pick up this CPU for the update:
    Intel Pentium G4400 Skylake Dual-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662G4400 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics-Newegg.com