Favorite VPN service...

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by bhome83, Nov 25, 2017.

1. bhome83

bhome83

I'm considering getting a VPN. There are a lot of mixed reviews on VPNs though. If you have one, which do you recommend?

2. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

3. bhome83

bhome83

Thanks Sarge! Under $3/month sounds like a good deal. Lots of mixed reviews on the service (i.e. slows down internet) but I imagine all VPNs do this to some degree, right?

4. Blaster3

Blaster3

$3/month is their lowest tier with limited bandwidth & potential throttling... they offer unlimited for $6.49/month no throttling...

anywho, i despise pay services so i don't use them... there are good open source freebies out there...

EDIT: removed link which turned out to be a biased ad, imo

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  5. bhome83

bhome83

It says ipvanish has unlimited bandwidth...

ps - it doesn't give me an option to choose a different tier...

6. Blaster3

Blaster3

i clicked on "fastest vpn" at bottom page of sarge's link... misread it... didn't realize the $2.87/mo was sale price for a two year commitment...

upload_2017-11-26_16-22-38.png

7. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I just know it's great for me. It offers so many servers around the world but I stay in country, lol. Just for grins, when I use it, say choose Seattle or Chicago, LA, any city in the world then go to Yahoo it gives me the weather for that city automatically. So I guess it works to a degree.

8. The Other Steve

The Other Steve

9. bhome83

bhome83

So I signed up for ipvanish and every sever I have tried connecting to is a lot slower than my ISPs speeds. I have 50mbps download and upload speed and I haven't found a server that goes over 10mbps (if I'm lucky). Is this what I should be expecting from VPNs? If so, I'll cancel as the tradeoff isn't worth it in my opinion.

10. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I've never had my speeds diminish in the years I've used it. But I use the pay version and don't remember if they had a free version since it auto renews each year. I use it on 2 different PCs with Uverse and Time Warner and no issues. I've tried others during this time on a "trial basis" and noticed slower speeds so cancelled them with no charge. I like to test around especially when there is no obligation. If it's not working for you then by all means cancel and try another.

BTW, I'm currently playing with this VPN and is lightning fast and very cheap with a special deal. Don't give up on VPN yet...

Black Friday – Cyber Monday weekend sale | NordVPN

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  11. bhome83

bhome83

I use the pay version of IP vanish, and my speeds so far have been incredibly slow. What server do you connect to? I just randomly choose servers from around the world and haven't found one yet that actually even comes close to matching my ISP advertised speeds. I use speedtest.net to check speeds...

12. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I like this one because I can actually choose servers as you say. But there is also an option to just let them choose the best one for you. Have you let them try that? Even your speed test chooses the best server based on ping. When I do they of course choose a server near me based on speeds - they know all that upfront. I can certainly choose LA, Seattle or Chicago or someplace overseas and there may be a slight lull. They aren't in business to slow down speeds or would be out of business very soon. I don't use the speed tests because I only judge by what my eyes see on the screen, not the numbers. I can tell when it's too slow. I'm stunned at times when running speedtest.net and see reported speeds as being slower than what I'm paying for, and that's without using VPN yet it's still just as fast as always to my eyes. So, are you running a speed test before using the VPN then comparing another test after connecting to a VPN server? And, can you actually see the difference?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  13. bhome83

bhome83

where is the option to let them choose the best one for me? I must be blind because I'm looking around in 'quick connect' and server list and right now it looks like I have to manually choose my own server. I run a speed test before using the VPN and during and any server I have chosen is quite a bit slower than my regular speeds. I can see the difference especially if I'n downloading something...

14. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

If you look on the right you'll see options and will usually say connect to best server, best city. Just click connect and let it do it's thing. You can also select a city if you wish, or even another country. Or if you're really serious go into settings and check connect to fastest server and let it sniff around the world for the fastest. Or go back to original and pick a city near you. I'm using now on 2 different providers (AT&T and TWC) and let it choose for me and blazing speeds as before. This is very easy. Maybe you should try another VPN since they're all the same price.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  15. bhome83

bhome83

I did that and it looks like it finds servers closest to where I live (Seattle). I don't have a problem with that, but I thought VPNs had fast servers overseas too. Haven't found one yet :(

16. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I'm assuming you are happy with speeds it selects close to Seattle? It's still a VPN so what's the issue? You're still hidden. Of course if you pick a server overseas there are lots of miles to traverse. Although fast servers you can't expect a server in Tokyo, etc., to give you same speeds as a server closer to home. Any other VPN would be the same. Maybe you should scale back your expectations and accept what is offered...

Blaster3 likes this.
  17. Blaster3

Blaster3

@SARGE ... there is reason to use eu servers rather than us servers, even though the connections times are slower, the benefits might outweigh the inconvenience...

this message is given by startpage search engine in settings for it... you can choose either server settings: closest/fastest; eu only; us only...

upload_2017-12-5_9-34-54.png

there's more to this in my other thread firefox quantum... yukk

SARGE likes this.