Family Pets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EzyStvy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

"Ya can't fix em...ya can't shoot em."

I inherited my mother's five pound Chihuahua this past November about a month before mom passed.

She's a real sweet little pup and it actually gets along with my much larger kitty kat pretty well. The dog owns the couch and the cat owns the rest of the house.

Saturday, I thought she might have had a seizure... She puked up breakfast and just fell over and looked pretty bad..

Sunday she's back to normal and the $361.00 worth of Vet visit and blood test didn't find anything wrong. And that's the good news... The bad news is that the estimate to to extract half a dozen teeth and clean what's left over is about $1,350.00 .... And they didn't even look at the left side of her mouth.

I've spent some pretty good money on various pets in my lifetime and every time I swear I won't do it again. But then you get so attached to the critters:confused:

/end of rant

2. David M

David M Techphile.

Agreed. They become family members. So the money to put them back in health becomes much less important.

3. Blaster3

Blaster3

4. edfair

edfair

Yep, attached. Speaks for the $2500 feral cat, not including the medicines. And the 6 months of up to 8 meds 3 times a day, only to lose him 8 months after the cornea repair.

Kidded my opthalmologist at an appointment that my cat was at the veterinary opthalmologist at the same time. His response was that it was going to cost more for the cat than what he made. He was right by about a factor of 6.

5. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Best friend I ever had, a Golden Retriever. Brought him home in a cardboard box in an F-150 at 8 weeks old and 8 years later takes up the entire backseat of a Toyota Tundra. He has alot more gray on his face now than I do, lol. And find out tomorrow blood test results why he's lost 20 pounds from 100 down to 78 in just a few months. He gulps water more than usual and still eats excellent organic stuff. He's the best.

Attached Files:

6. Ashanti Esteves

Ashanti Esteves

There are actually a lot of advantages of having a pet but the downside really is it also requires some fund which can be used in another expense.

7. bob

bob

SARGE when I visit you I will be taking your dog home to me. :D

8. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Well, I don't know about that. He eyeballs me more than a new bride does her husband, eyes never removed and knows where I'm at constantly. I simply drop my arm down along side the bed at night and he knows it and rises to get petted. Galbud spoils his butt with organic treats from Paycheck plus big carrots and frozen green beans. If I were you I'd reconsider.

9. bob

bob

I want his first born male - Fine female is good too. :D

10. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Well, everything you ever heard about a Golden Retriever, he is it. He was the last of the litter and everyone passed him over. The smartest, best natured and loving dog I ever had. He senses my moods and if I yell at FOX news he runs into the other room, lol.

11. bob

bob

It is good you warned him about the foxes. Do not want to push the rules but - good dog.

12. auen1

auen1

My brother and I have a deal
    If a pet needs putting down, we do it for each other.

Takes a little of the pain out of doing it yourself, when the pet has been part of your household.

Blaster3 likes this.
  13. David M

David M Techphile.

I am there when I put my pets down. I feel I owe it to them to be the last person they see. Yes, it is a super hard thing to do but I feel that is what is best for them.

14. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I've never done anything like that. Why would you be there as your pet is killed before your eyes, and what was it that made you be there to begin with? That is insane

15. Blaster3

Blaster3

i sat with my father as they pulled the plug on life support, i sat with my mother as she took her last breath dying from cancer and full of morphine, (euthenasia would be less crual but it's illegal). i'm sure you'd do same with a family member, i've also held many beloved pets as they took their last breath and i can tell you that they were distressed until i picked them up, then they relaxed , felt at ease, knowing i was there.

i think it's insane not to be there with them.

16. Bob338

Bob338

Was never a cat lover. Big time dog lover. Cried oceans when we lost a feral cat turned family pet that wife conned me into taking to vet and nursing back to health. She worked on my negativity and won me over. Natural death. Had given up on dogs after my favorite tragically died from poor vet care in the vet's hands. Had to learn to cry all over again after my all time favorite dog died. Even had a kennel at one time raising and training English Springers for hunting. Don't ever want to experience those feelings again. I've thought of another pet many times but age and lifestyle doesn't make any sense.

17. edfair

edfair

Was there for the feral several months ago and for the 22 year old tuxedo two weeks ago. Both went to sleep purring knowing they were cared for. Will probably need to get another as companion for the 10 year old maine coon even though both will probably outlast me.

18. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

Agreed. It sure sounds like a nice gesture to be there but I'll never do it. I suffer enough having to take them to be put down and the sadness afterwards.

I had to call a secondary vet to put my last cat down.. They said they could do it in a couple of hours... They took her to the back room and said they'll take care of her... I pulled out my checkbook and asked how much... "Oh sir - there's NO CHARGE for this." I demanded they charge me and to make it as painful as possible... Long story short, they handed me a pamphlet to the place where the body would end up and said they take donations....

Then there was the time 50 years ago when a tom cat from two doors down that decided he like our house better...so he moved in and killed five - week old kittens we had...(he basically decapitated them) The sixth one wasn't completely dead. Best I could come up with at my young age of 12 was to hold it underwater till it drowned.

19. David M

David M Techphile.

Sometimes you have to take a pet out of its pain because there is no cure. That animal was loyal to you all its life and now you are going to have it put down without you there? To me not being there seems cruel and heartless. Please understand that is not what I think of others who disagree. Different strokes for different folks.

20. auen1

auen1

Maybe you'd think about it a little differently,
    if YOU were the one pulling the trigger on your buddy.

A world of difference having someone kill your pet
    vs. doing it yourself.